Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tell me about trials bikes
  • opusone
    Free Member

Does anyone have a trials bike? (I mean a trials mountain bike rather than a trials motorbike)

Can you tell me about them, as in what to look for, whether it’s worth getting one, etc. It turns out I really enjoy riding trials on my hardtail but I thought it might be even more fun on an actual trials bike.

Bigmantrials

It all depends what you want, I rode trials for around 10years and rode prodimently 26inch trials bikes, the long wheelbase no seat type, if you YouTube bigmantrials it should show you some of my vids, and the type of bikes I rode. If you are just starting out I would suggest you look at something a little closer to a classic mtb style, take a look at the inspired bikes range, the do some great value builds for people who want to start out. Always worth having a look on the tartybikes website too! I hope that is of some help.

OCB
    Free Member

Back along, I did a couple of seasons on a 26″ Onza (T-Rex). Pretty much entry-level, but a great way of getting into it – and a bike I never got anywhere near the limits of.

I was completely rubbish (and I’d be even worse now), but enjoyed the challenge no end. I don’t think I’d have got with it on a MTB tho’ – having a trails bike gave me the confidence to try stuff I’d otherwise probably not tried, (given that they are much easier to chuck out from under you). I only had the odd ‘go’ on 20″ versions, I can see how they work well on some stuff, but now, I think I’d probably head towards a 24″ bike.

Trials Forum would be worth a rummage.

I found that it definitely improved my riding generally, especially when picking my way up things.

Hmm, I think I’ll dig mine out from the back of the store and give it another go!

(Hopefully it won’t end with a “What plaster cast for a broken […]” thread).

😛

opusone
    Free Member

There are a couple of second hand 24″ Inspired fourplays on ebay for about £500-600. They look pretty good to me. I’d be a long way away from testing the limits of those by the look of them.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If you are from MTB background I would get a 26 inch. Echo bikes are cheaper than most (look on the tarty website) and will not stop you riding Elite lines 😉

The Inspired look to be more street orientated. Think big BMX and higher geared so better for rolling round the streets, funnily enough.

I love it. It is something me and the boy can do in the back garden with a few bits of wood and pallets or within two minutes roll of the house. Every wall, lump of rock or bit of street furniture becomes a challenge and playground. I can have a good ride and be knackered in less time than the MTB faffage to get out the door.

opusone
    Free Member

Every wall, lump of rock or bit of street furniture becomes a challenge and playground. I can have a good ride and be knackered in less time than the MTB faffage to get out the door.

I’m finding it a bit like bouldering is to trad / sport climbing, as in, it’s tricky and less faffing about but still knackering. Plus you try stuff which you’d never normally do.

brant
    Free Member

I have a 24in Onza Zoot with V brakes that would move on for right price.
    It’s in Bingley currently

opusone
    Free Member

Can anyone offer me an opinion on this bike?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

It is a street bike. Easier for Bunnyhops and harder for backwheel stuff. 600 is a lot for a trials bike 2nd hand imho.

Look on observed trials, usually lots for sale.

As for the style of bike, what are your aspirations?

opusone
    Free Member

As for the style of bike, what are your aspirations?

Fun riding around in the city +/- transferable skills for proper mountain biking.

I’m going to have a lot less time to ride next year (baby on the way, new job, new city where I might be further from the trails than I am now) so I’m sort of looking for something I can enjoy on the bike out of the front door and helps me keep my hand in for when I get a day in the mountains.

Superficial
    Free Member

Depends where you live, but unless there’s a decent amount of street furniture near your house, you may be over-estimating how much riding you’ll find locally. Be aware that getting anywhere (even 1 km) is a pain in the arse on a low-geared bike with no seat. I used to ride street trials but I couldn’t really do it locally where I currently live – and certainly not without significant time investment.

I loved riding trials, and as a teenager / student when I had hours / days to fritter away riding with mates it was great. As a young father with career / mortgage I definitely do not have the time for such frivolity. If I get a spare hour I’d rather ruin myself on a road bike.

That bike looks like a good deal if it’s in good condition. It’s £1350 new I think – link. Obviously be a bit wary about why it’s been resprayed – are they hiding cracks?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Sounds like a street style bike might be the way to go then. Still think 600 is a lot for a second hand bike that has a chance of having been ridden hard. Get one of tarty bikes for a lot less than that.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_trials_bikes/inspired_flow_24_inch_2016/c50p12496.html

isitafox
    Free Member

I highly doubt that Inspired will be hiding any cracks, I’m sure Bigman will agree with me that they’re pretty much bombproof and £600 is a good price.
    In terms of something to play about on, if there’s a lot of walls, steps, big rocks, etc within 10-15mins of your front door then definitely give it a go. Where is it you’re gonna be living? If you go on Trials Forum (I’m a mod on there) it’d be pretty easy to hook up with some other riders to get some basic skills and advice and there’s riders of all ages spread across the country.

If you want any more info or advice on bikes feel free to drop me an email amd I’ll do my best to help you out!

metcalt

As uphill cursing said above a 26″ bike is going to make switching over a lot easier, trials bikes can feel really alien when you get on them. It can also be a frustrating sport when learning, so being able to pick up a few things quickly stops you getting disheartened, having to spend time feeling comfortable on the bike each ride won’t help.

I used to ride trials back in the day (Brisa B26, anyone remember those?) and bought an Onza Zoot recently to try get back into it. I thought with a background in trials it’d be childs play but found it really hard to get used to, it just felt weird and far too short. Of course these are my experiences and yours may differ.

There’s quite a few 26″ ones on ebay for not much, like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Team-Series-Trials-Mountain-Bike-/152091698738?hash=item23695f2632:g:XW8AAOSwSgJXOJyE or look at the 26″ Inspired if they still have them, they’re worth looking into.

Oh, and look for the Dirty tricks and cunning stunts/the art of Biking on DVD, silly but informative 🙂

opusone
    Free Member

All useful stuff, thanks everyone.

Where is it you’re gonna be living?

Edinburgh, moving up from Yorkshire at the start of July. I’m expecting that there’ll be a fairly decent trials scene.

Could you post a link to trials forum?

Andy_K

Hehe, Tricks and Stunts plus a roomy at Uni got me into mountain biking via the medium of trials. Great times messing about on the streets of Bristol. Don’t worry about the bike too much, I learned some basics on a rigid 26″ mtb, and then got a trials bike once the seat was really getting in the way! Dirt jumpy style bikes can also do double duty sometimes.

isitafox
    Free Member

Yeah it’s trials forum. There’s a few lads around Edinburgh so you should be fine with that and the Scottish crew are mostly late 20’s early 30’s. Also most ride street bikes like Inspireds!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about trials bikes’ is closed to new replies.