Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • tri training plan help?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

after putting it off for a few years, and entering to late last year, i’ve got my entry in for a sprint distance tri in mid april.

can anyone point me at some training plans or offer some help, i’ve done the usual google and all the plans i’ve found seem to be less than i do already… and trust me i’m no super athlete, more mildly overweight mid 40s.

for back ground, swimming i’m not worried about. i swim 2 times a week doing 3 or 4 400m sets with some intervals (2 x 50m and 2 x 100m and 2 x 50m) thrown in between sets – will be 3 times/week in a week as i also do lifeguard training on sat nights.

cycling will be ok with a few weeks base building back in my legs, been a bit slack on the bike this autumn/winter. have indoor trainer set up as well 2 or 3 times a week.

running, thats the weak one. hav’nt run for about 3 weeks, but can easily do 30-40mins.

MSP

It’s a sprint tri, I wouldn’t worry too much about specific training plans just get out there and enjoy it, couple of swims a week, couple of runs a week and a couple of rides a week will see you through with ease. If you like it you can get more specific after you have done an event or two.

I am overweight mid 40’s and that approach got me round an half ironman last year.

One thing I would say is if the swim is open water, have some open water swim sessions before your first race.

SamB
    Free Member

If you can already pull out 400m / 20k / 5k then you don’t really need to train for a tri sprint!

In terms of training plans – have a look at trinewbies: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp
    If the training plans there are less (distance-wise) than you normally do, try doing the shorter distances at a faster pace?

Also, as MSP says – if it’s an Open Water tri, getting a bit of OW practice in is definitely a good idea. You might also want to practice your transitions (Swim->Bike, Bike->run) and do a couple of ‘brick’ sessions, where you do two exercises back-to-back. Run into bike is always interesting!

jam-bo

I downloaded an app call first time tri or something like that?

Translations are worth practising. Running off the bike is an experience the first time?

Are you doing st mawes? Keep meaning to do that one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘tri training plan help?’ is closed to new replies.