Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trendlebere Down Bridleway? ( Dartmoor question )
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Hi All,
    Came out my cave yesterday and went up on the moor proper for first time in a long time. Did a shortened version of commonly used trail mentioned on here by various people.
    I tried to pick up the bridleway running along Yarner Wood. With traffic blasting through I wanted to get off the road a.s.a.p., I could see the corner of the road taking a big right hand turn but couldn't see the start of the bridleway. The only path I could see and took, was what I now realise was inside the wood's edge. Wrong side of the hedge! My mapreading error, but honest mistake!
    The bridleway I should have taken runs outside the wood
    – does it exist on the ground?
    is it obvious, and I've just been a plonker and missed it?

Judging by my efforts, I think I was on another planet when looking at the map yesterday. 2/10, lacks attention to detail, must try much harder…..
    and yes, I'll go stand in the corner!
    cheers
    Q

slugwash
    Free Member

I think that bridleway starts on the right just around the RH (Edit: originally wrote LH. Sorry) bend as you go up the hill on the road. It's sharp turn to the right and up a trail to the right running through the edge of the wood and then alongside the wood on the uphill side, then over a bit of openish ground with a stone wall/hedgerow on yer right until you meet the road. Most of it is obvious from the start. HTH

BTW, I've heard on the Totnes barfly jungle drums that there's a new microbrewery opened in Christow. Have you tasted their wares yet? Are they any good? Information & local knowledge please!

Christowkid
    Free Member

Slugwash:
    ok…. it obviously exists, just that I didn't search long enough. Thanks for the conformation.
    Yes, I've heard there's another microbrewery starting up. Haven't seen/sampled yet, but will report back. With Teignworthy, that's 2 in a village of ~ 600. Not bad going really!
    cheers
    Q

trailmonkey

You did the right thing if you were climbing. The BW I think you're talking about is a hairy descent but a foul climb. The path through Yarner while steep mis a much better way to get up to the same level.

Christowkid
    Free Member

TM: Yes I was climbing ( well…walking! ).
    The track I found inside I'm sure is very climbable with those that have legs, and I did bits, just not enough muscle to do it all the way up. It does go on! To be fair it was lovely, and there were tracks showing the odd bike has used it. It must be a lovely swoopy downhill if you need to go that way. Got confused at the top as the 'bridleway' horse friendly gate was padlocked. Then went around the house on the road and discovered the 'proper' bridleway. Ah well.
    Went on around the road and down the byway to Leighon ( met some motorbikes coming up ) and on and over the clapper. Twas a sod of a climb out and up the valley towards the medieval village!
    Got lost ( don't ask – kiddy type error. ) and eventually got to Manaton, then down through Horsham/Water/Beckhams. Forgot how long that all is, and also how loose it is around Beckhams! That woke me up!!!!
    All in all a long ride for me but enjoyed it and don't feel too knackered today, surprisingly!
    cheers
    Q

trailmonkey

Classic ride that, some of my favourite stuff around that way 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Sounds like the Plague or is it the black death, either way, both are bonkers fun.

slugwash
    Free Member

ok…. it obviously exists, just that I didn't search long enough. Thanks for the conformation.

That's all right but after reading TM and your own further postings on this thread I think that I might have been thinking of another Bridleway! Oh Well.

sharki
    Free Member

Am i right in saying the trail head is off the road, just down from the entrance to Leon?

Must be a reet giggle with the leaf litter now.

Christowkid
    Free Member

slugwash: Wonder if you mean the one below, starting at Redaford water?

Sharki: Ermmmmm if i understand you right – the track I pushed up is to the right of 'North Lodge' on OS map, but in reality is now called Yarner Well……but we might be at cross purposes!!!
    Q

sharki
    Free Member

Yep that's the one……alot of variation there in that trail, i've only been done there the once, we then went left at the road and dropped down unofficially into the nowhere.

One is the plague the other is lack death….i think the one you pushed up is the plague…

TM or Si to the forum please.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trendlebere Down Bridleway? ( Dartmoor question )’ is closed to new replies.