• This topic has 108 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Trekster and Si say goodbye to the Hub
  • Northwind

They’re struggling just now… TBH I think it’s at least partly because for the first months they hardly had enough custom to be worth opening, so now they’re not quite adjusting to the larger numbers. It’s got better already but still not sorted.

OTOH- the car park over by the old Hub was locked today so it was total bloomin pandemonium over in the new one. What’s that all about? The 2 carparks combined aren’t big enough.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Agree re the car parks too Northwind which perhaps goes some way to explaining the long queues! That said, I would have thought they could have predicted they would be busy, reasonable weather forecast combined with popular holiday time? The grub looked good value on the whole and what I had was fine.

Tom

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have they got a proper coffee machine in yet? Last time I was there (6 weeks ago roughly) they had one of those waiting room style push button things, minging.

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t understand how there could possible be any queues. I thought that “everyone” was going to boycott the new cafe and shop 🙄

Northwind

You have earned a 😆 . Spend it wisely.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

Lovely toilets :$ for 5 million quid
    had a lovely post ride vanila.latte and burger at the whistle stop cafe innerleithen. Table srrvice and no waiting. I just have a chip on my shoulder though pwaaaaaa
    Me smug never!

hora
    Free Member

Do you lot fondly remember Steam trains and Queen Victoria as well?

Diane
    Free Member

To ‘Big up’ some of the smaller local cafes – Whistlestop in Innerleithen and the Caberston Cafe in Walkerburn are both very good if you are heading home in that direction (Or finishing rides on alternative hills :wink:)

Sandwich

3 – some good music

God no. Sitting and listening to the hubbub of conversation is much better. The choice of music to suit me might not be to your taste and your music choice would upset Northwind…..

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

was in the peel yesterday too and it was busy. Had to queue for about 20 minutes to get serverd, simply not enough staff but i’m sure that this will improve.

Also interesting to see that there were quite a few non-bikers in the cafe, can’t say I ever noticed that at the hub, seems like the Peel is more inviting to others which can only be a good thing.

ojom
    Free Member

PG – you need to get torn into the Pines Tearoom on the way home or a chippy in Peebles.

Failing these, do what me n Onion have done… Big Mac Meals LARGE at Straiton. (With extra cheeseburger *burp*)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

TBC, was with the lady, thought I would treat her 😆

ojom
    Free Member

Suppose it’s a step up from medium meatballs at Ikea eh

stanfree
    Free Member

PaulG think I may have seen you and your missus at the top of Berm baby Berm yesterday , thought It might have been you but didn’t recognise your bike so kept my mouth shut. I was with my son about 3 ish.

carbon337
    Free Member

Whistestop in Inners – 5.65 Soup and sarnie. Bloomin lovely.

Whats the deal with only 1 male shitter – sunday mornings maybe interesting.

druidh
    Free Member

stanfree – Member
    PaulG think I may have seen you and your missus at the top of Berm baby Berm yesterday , thought It might have been you but didn’t recognise your bike so kept my mouth shut. I was with my son about 3 ish.

While it’s impressive that he can ride the Blue at his age, you really should be better informed about your offsprings birthday!

stanfree
    Free Member

Ah Druidh I see what you did , your a comedy genius . 😆

bellerophon
    Free Member

Also interesting to see that there were quite a few non-bikers in the cafe

yep, we noticed that as well, quite smartly dressed too. It may be a day after boxing day thing, but at the hut on the black we met about 15 walkers, can’t say I’ve seen a walker on the black before

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Suppose it’s a step up from medium meatballs at Ikea eh

😆 guess or did you see us? 😆

StanFree, aye that would heve been us. Didn’t see you, it’s always hard to make people out when their in MTB clothes and with helmet etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wunhundred

bigjim

I was in the new cafe the snowy weekend before xmas and it was mostly walkers but then it was snowy and very quiet on teh trails.

I thought the coffee was good – its a bean to cup machine, can’t complain about that. It is definitely a good bit slower than the hub was though.

They should have put the cafe where the toilets are – those toilets have a great view and a covered verandah area whilst the cafe has no view and a tiny outside bit next to an earth mound. It’ll never have the atmosphere of the hub anyway with no music, it reminded me of church a bit actually! Amen.

Northwind

There’s usually been music on when I’ve been in. Though inoffensive backgroundy stuff. I doubt even the most devout Hub worshippers will miss their choice of tracks too much, no no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there’s no limit!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

They should have put the cafe where the toilets are – those toilets have a great view and a covered verandah area whilst the cafe has no view and a tiny outside bit next to an earth mound.

+1
    the only reason I can think of why they didn’t was so that walkers didn’t miss the cafe. A great big sign would have sorted that though.

BoardinBob

Have they got a proper coffee machine in yet? Last time I was there (6 weeks ago roughly) they had one of those waiting room style push button things, minging.

The Hub coffee tasted as though they’d placed a bucket under one of urinals, boiled the contents then added some mud for colour.

proteus
    Free Member

Lovely toilets :$ for 5 million quid
    aye, and the rest.

wonder if there is a final figure available which includes the total cost of the peel and other peel related purchases?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Hub coffee tasted as though they’d placed a bucket under one of urinals, boiled the contents then added some mud for colour.

I wasn’t comparing it to the hubs….Just saying it was guff.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

with regard location i always hoped the cafe would have been overlooking the freeride park and /or the skills loop

it would have been nice for family’s or groups
    kids could sessions skills area and freeride while parent gaurdian sits on veranda.

i remember a few of the events that the hub bus catered for next to the freeride and it was great .
    IMHO a post ride coffee from the veranda (or crystal palace ) watching the young guns showing there skils on the finish of the freeride would have been nice.
    then again i would have been just as happy if they never built the fekin thingand invested it in the trails /chairlift

Trekster

Yup. Most of the trail centre shops/cafes have been lumbered with a poor location. How good would it be if there was a skills/picnic area(next to shops) suitable for families and for the bike shop to be able to allow customers to have a quick set-up and demo of a new bike/hire bike? Possibly run some skills sessions in the evenings for newbies…..lots could be done but seems lost to planners/ideas people who probably never ride bikes therefore have no understanding of what is needed or forward thinking on what could be done.

Sure the Girls are enjoying their break in Whistler and having a laugh at the continuing post here and elsewhere.Good luck and enjoy your time off and recharge those batteries. Remember the good years 😆

hora
    Free Member

Invest it in the trails/Chairlift?

Do you think the planners don’t have a clue???

The trails are great.

The pokey-wooden shed really didn’t do the area/facilities justice. A lot of trails, investment but keep an old shed for refreshment? As I said, remove the Veranda and its a very very small wooden shed with minging toilets.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Trekster and Si say goodbye to the Hub’ is closed to new replies.