• This topic has 108 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Trekster and Si say goodbye to the Hub
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

I have just gone back through this thread and I don’t see that much hostility to the new cafe. This week is more about saying goodbye to the much loved Hub. No need for dramas on this thread really.

The new cafe position was not the decision of the new cafe owners, I think that that was a bit of a lost opportunity in terms of design.

But yes, if they are able to create a great biking atmosphere, and do some good quality cake and coffee and a reasonable price, then good luck to them of course! 🙂

BoardinBob

OTOH if you are angry the the Hub lost you might take the view that this happened because of the other bids. Nobody forced the new lot to put in their bid as far as I am aware.

No, it happened because the Hub’s bid wasn’t as good as the winning bid.

imnotverygood

So if nobody had won, the FC would have left the building vacant?

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I’m guessing that if nobody had won then the FC would have run it themselves. THey certainly couldn’t let it fail given the amount of money (not all theirs) that was spent.
    In some instances that might have been best as then we could all have vented our frustration with them directly..

I apologise for tainting this (as it was rightly put) farewell thread but it’s been a longtime coming, every Glentress thread that’s come up in the recent months has had a certain amount of vitriol directed at the new cafe and it’s reaching the point now where it’s threatening real peoples livelihoods.

Still, perhaps a discussion for another time..
    I would certainly like to add my heartfelt gratitude and best wishes to E&T for their years at Glentress, they were an instrumental part in making it what it is today and I sincerely wish they can use this as an opportunity to move onto bigger and better things..

wwpaddler
    Free Member

No, they would have restarted the tendering process

kennyp
    Free Member

We’re off down tomorrow for a last big pig-out cake fest at the best cafe in the country. It’ll be sorely missed.

As for the new place, I’ll judge it on its own merits. I hope it’s a great place though.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

it seems i am a troll 😈
    Im sorry if it upsets people that i now choose to spend my money in the villages in and around the tweed valley and use independent bike shops such as i-cycles, rather than fund FE coffers
    thats the point i have a choice as do others and they are voting with there feet!
    Please remember the original funding granted was to bring in tourism to rural areas after foot and mouth not fund FE coffers IMHO..
    As Mr Bob McIntosh, Chief Executive of Forest Enterprise explained
    the funding will help make the South of Scotland a first class destination for mountain bikers:
    “As Britain’s largest provider of outdoor recreation, we have been working in partnership with a vast range of organisations and mountain bike clubs to help promote this very popular sport. Not only are we providing fantastic trails for cyclists, we are helping bring in visitors and money to rural areas. This is vitally important to the South of Scotland which was badly affected by the foot and mouth outbreak.”
    If we put the tender issue to the side for a moment and any loyalty’s / feelings i have with the hub for all there help they have given me with getting up to speed coaching for TCL and MBL awards.
    I still feel The peel centre IMHO was not wanted,not needed and a waste of money,any investment should have been in the tweed valley trails and specifically the development of innerleithen as a MTB venue for all with a all year uplift.which in my opinion would secure a tourist industry based future for the people of the tweed valley after the devastation of the death of the tweed mills then foot and mouth.

However what do I know !!!!as stated in the first post

having been binned from my home of nine years by a very large land owner i may have stronger opinions than others.
    but IMHO it will never be the same.
    some people will agree some will disagree

p.s sorry to trekster for the drama on your thread humble apoligies mate.
    Highlander i would not wish anyone to loose there living and im not aware of me ever having a pop at the new cafe owners?.
    However surely if the cafe fails it should not put there other venture the glentress hotel under ?
    if so that seems rather a silly risk IMHO

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Fair point.. as you rightly point out everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to take their trade where they please. As a longterm resident of the Tweed Valley I’d like to thank you for your custom.

I simply take issue with people’s ire at the situation being directed at a different local business which is simply trying to provide a service and make a living.
    At the end of the day, the Peel is here, the money has been spent. If the whole endeavour fails then it will only hurt the Tweed Valley as a whole.. and seeing as I live here I’d rather that not happen.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

As has been stated above.. I think ‘judging the new place on it’s own merits’ is all that those involved would ask.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

p.s sorry to trekster for the drama on your thread humble apoligies mate.

Highlander
    i would not wish anyone to loose there living and im not aware of me ever having a pop at the new cafe owners?.
    However surely if the cafe fails it should not put there other venture the glentress hotel under ?at least i hope not as it cater for a hell of a lot of visitors in a year.
    if so that seems rather a silly risk IMHO

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Apologies for the confusion, I have waded in here not because of your specific comments, but because they are indicative of the kind of comments that have been cropping up since this whole sorry mess went public. Don’t get me wrong, I am as royally fed up with the FC for the whole thing, the money spent, their treatment of the Hub (not unprecedented if you look at other FC projects around the country) as the next guy.
    The only thing I take issue with is the directing of said irritation at the folks who simply bid on a business opportunity and are now caught in the middle of a real life ‘flamewar’ where they are taking the brunt of it on behalf of the FC.
    As I understand it, the Peel is a separate business entity from the Hotel. However to believe that the Cafe would go under and not affect the Hotel is, i think unrealistic.
    They are basically little different from E&T, local people sinking their lives into a local small business that they believe in.

Woody
    Free Member

in fact i would rather give my cash to macdiddlys in gala than FE.

Wow. That’s some set of principals!

d45yth
    Free Member

I can’t believe the morons who say they won’t/don’t want to give money to the FE…who do you think owns the forests you’re riding in? Wouldn’t it be great if they thought they weren’t going to make any money and closed the forests to the public?!?

bigjim

every Glentress thread that’s come up in the recent months has had a certain amount of vitriol directed at the new cafe and it’s reaching the point now where it’s threatening real peoples livelihoods

I really don’t think a few threads on an internet forum are going to threaten the livelihood of anyone. Once the Hub closes people will be more inclined to go to the new place.

I can’t figure out why the new cafe was built below an earth bank with no view, whilst the toilet block was built on a hill with a nice view! If they switched them round I’m sure it would be more popular.

bigjim

Wouldn’t it be great if they thought they weren’t going to make any money and closed the forests to the public

WEll, they can’t really do that can they

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

The problem is that there are likely 100 times as many people read this forum as post on it.. unless there is discussion (which is what the forum is for after all) then a lot of those people will simply take to heart what they read.

Not to mention that it wouldn’t be the first time (even in this specific saga) that lazy journalists have taken the contents of ‘a few forum threads’ and written it up as ‘popular public opinion’.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

who do you think owns the forests you’re riding in

eh we do ! the people of scotland 😆

IMHO ive just went all braveheart how stereotypical !

i have to say that within the riding friends i have and online riding buddies popular public opinion is that the peel is a farce !

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

woody only when on a night ride and all the other cafes are shut 🙄
    ie its that or the volcano take away for a coronary

im off now as i am starting to sound like the troll that i am 8)

Woody
    Free Member

😀 Thanks for clearing up that misconception.

I’d almost forgotten that the environmentally friendly, healthy diet promoting organisation which ploughs profits back into the local economy that is Maccyd’s, is preferable to a traditional local business.

bellerophon
    Free Member

First up; I wish Tracy and Emma well for the future.

As for the new place, I’ll judge it on its own merits. I hope it’s a great place though

Been there just the once a short while ago and thought it was great, the food was lovely and the toilets spotless.

pieceofcake
    Free Member

All the best to Emma and Tracy. It’s been a great ride.

I have to agree about the new place though. While it’s sad to say goodbye to the Hub, the new cafe is big, clean (but very welcoming of mud and blood), friendly, run by a local (mountain biking) family and the food TOTALLY ROCKS!!!!!!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Wow what a sulk fest!
    Ok so the hub was good, the new cafe is at least as good and given the chance the people in the new place could be just as friendly and helpful and Emma and Tracy were. Why not try it? Build a new relationship, make some new friends. If E&T are as nice as you say, they will understand.
    It really is not the new cafes fault that the hub didn’t bid as well as it should.
    As for the FC, it’s not actually their fault either. They would have a specification/ and tender with set criteria which they probably hired a consultant to produce and which must be adhered to. They can’t just rip it up to ensure the hub stays as that would be hugely unfair to all of the other bidders.
    I’m grateful to the FC for providing great trails and facilities and very happy to throw them a few quid to ensure it continues.

kennyp
    Free Member

I ride at GT a lot, and know loads of folk who do likewise. I’d say the opinion of the vast majority is:-

1. They are sad and angry the Hub is closing.

2. They wish Emma and Tracy well in whatever they do.

3. They have no gripe whatsoever with the folk at the new place. They are locals too, who want to make a living.

4. They plan to try the new place, and if it’s good and friendly they’ll go back.

At the end of the day, while I think the Peel Centre is a huge waste of money, it’s there and there’s no going back now. It being succesful is bound to be good for the sport as a whole, so I wish them well. They aren’t the ones responsible for the Forestry Commission making a daft mistake.

Equally though, although the Forestry Commission are in the wrong here (in my opinion), on the whole they have been a huge boost for mountain biking all over the country. For that they deserve credit.

I still think the fact I can go ride at one of the best mountain bike centres in the world for absolutely nothing is quite amazing.

But finally however, nothing will ever match the friendly atmosphere at the Hub, and I’ll raise a glass to them this weekend for what was brilliant decade of the best sport in the world.

Bregante

Well put that man

druidh
    Free Member

Is it just me that prefers to eat in a roomy, clean environment with decent toilets and showers on hand then? Maybe it’s because I’m a relative newcomer to cycling (and GT), only going back to 2005 (2008 at GT), but I’d never heard of Emma & Tracey up until last year.

GW
    Free Member

sounds like you need a bib mate

imnotverygood

yup

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep, well said kennyp.

Remember, there’s more people than just mountain bikers use Glentress. Many that do will not have the sentimental attachment that many on here do to the Hub and I’m sure will use the cafe. I’ll give it a try when I next go along.

Northwind

deertrackdoctor – Member

Yes most of which are old motor x trails that were there long before they were way marked.

Which of the current trails do you think is an old moto x trail?

wrecker
    Free Member

You know what they say; better a bib than a bedpan.

NickScots
    Free Member

Was in the HUB in oct hols, heading home from canoeing, and that was the last time. Loved that jarlsberg cheese panini.

Today we did the red in the snow, rain, wind etc.

We went to the cafe, huge Q. So once we were changed, we went back in and had good food. A chap broke the back of a shiny plastic ‘christine keeler’ chair, bashed his head but seemed ok. So good cafe, watch the chairs !

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I can’t quite fathom why the outside seating area is on the north side of the new building. It is sheltered from the wind, but also from the sun and it is not a good place to wait with a cuppa whilst keeping an eye out for you mates arriving.

dab

Was at gt last Sunday
    Had a great day and post ride we decided to go to
    new cafe (3rd time I’ve been )

Foods good , settings ok if a bit sterile

Suggestions to improve
    1 – more staff serving ( q was 15 mins ffs )
    2 – chalet style seating ( not enough seats )
    3 – some good music

Good start though
    Keep the prices keen & quality and I’ll happily pay

bumbly1
    Free Member

Was at the Peel cafe for the first time today. Queue was half an hour with a further wait to get cooked food! Not much fun when cold and wet after the ride. Two of our party left after waiting about 15 minutes and a few mumbles were overheard from others. Progress?

BoardinBob

Was at the Peel cafe for the first time today. Queue was half an hour with a further wait to get cooked food! Not much fun when cold and wet after the ride. Two of our party left after waiting about 15 minutes and a few mumbles were overheard from others. Progress?

Was it busy? Would the hub have served quicker?

hora
    Free Member

I’ve been to Glentress a few times. For me the place has grown up and developed. I’ll be using the new cafe and won’t look back. Sorry but it was ‘ok’ but not amazing.

Saying that I hope the new Hub doesn’t become like the shiny CYB cafe. The worse service on the planet bar none.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Was there a 2nd hub at GT which I wasn’t aware of?

One which wasn’t in a stinking run-down shed and which didn’t have grumpy staff slowly serving punters tasteless overpriced food and puddle water coffee?

oscarvictor
    Free Member

In cafe today for first time. It was busy so queue was long and TBH I was grumbling a bit to my friends. However soon got over myself and it gave me a chance to peruse the extensive and fairly good value blackboard menu.

There were only 2 staff on in front, but they seemed to have a good system going, were friendly and the queue soon went down.

Maybe could do a little better, but for me it was just the ticket after a few hours on the trails

bellerophon
    Free Member

oscarvictor, is that you Stewart?

We were in the new place today, very busy, I think they could have done with more staff on… unless it was a blip with a load of us and others finishing riding at the same time.

The victoria sponge was lovely..

hora
    Free Member

The only thing I miss about the old hub- come on, admit it folks…..was the wooden veranda. It felt ‘right’. Take that away and its a very very small wooden shed with minging toilets.

Come on, admit it. It was bloody tiny.

Their proposal should have been better. Sorry.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Trekster and Si say goodbye to the Hub’ is closed to new replies.