Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trek's "Knock Block" – belated April Fool's joke?
  • rhayter

Ok then.Trek has realised some lovely-looking Fuel EX 27.5+ bikes.

But they come with a proprietary headset designed to stop your fork crown smashing the newly-straight (and stiffer… OH SO STIFFER) down tube.

I thought we’d figured out that problem years ago, producing perfectly stuff down tubes (and bikes) all the while.

I have no particular axe to grind with Trek. I had a 2011 Fuel EX – and was very happy with it. And Boost looks like a generally good thing, achieving improvements to bikes that could not be achieved any other way.

But this is absolute bollocks, surely?

Northwind

I have a remedy with a curved downtube and it’s bloody disgusting to look at. This resolves that at least.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Looks like a copy of Acros Block Lock.

packer
    Free Member

Canyon have something similar, but it doesn’t seem to require a specific headset and stem.

plyphon
    Free Member

From what I can tell, the only thing that is proprietary is the spacer and cover – which you shouldn’t ever need to replace.

Scratch that, I’ve no idea what a “keyed stem” is.

To solve this issue they came up with the ‘Knock Block’, which uses a keyed headset cover and a replaceable stop chip in the top tube that prevents the handlebar from turning too far.

Nope, just sounds like its the cover and block interaction, which is exactly the same as Canyon’s solution.

plyphon
    Free Member

Probably the first trek I’ve liked in forever, too.

packer
    Free Member

just sounds like its the cover and block interaction, which is exactly the same as Canyon’s solution

Nope – it requires a special stem. See here:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gR0ClsDgck[/video]

dave_h
    Free Member

“For additional failsafe frame protections……”

or

“For when it doesn’t work…..”

timbur
    Free Member

My lads islabike has a headset with limits. Same as init?????
    😈

Superficial
    Free Member

I kind of agree with the principle, but it looks way over-engineered, and clumsy. It would also be worth pointing out that their commitment to straight downtubes is limited to the top end only for some reason – there’s another massive bend by the BB which is presumably required to keep the shock mounting position as per Trek’s standards. I wonder how much extra weight that mechanism adds, compared to the stiffness that could be gained by adding that weight to the original (curved) downtube.

Plus it means you can’t X-up. Which I’m sure will affect all of us.

Monty had a very similar system on their trials bikes (10+) years ago. That was all contained within the headtube and was far more elegant than this system.

eth3er
    Free Member

And just like that Trek present a bike that’ll not fit in your boot.

Superficial
    Free Member

Ha, that’s a good point actually.

tthew

So they wanted to avoid a curved down tube, and gave it a shitting dog top tube instead. IMHO they’re far more ugly.

andysredmini
    Free Member

No x-ups or bar spins. I’m out.

thepurist

Anyone else bothered by the length of the seatpost compared to the amount inserted into the tube? Bet it looks gopping in a large frame size

rickon
    Free Member

Cause proprietary stems worked out so well for Giant.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trek's "Knock Block" – belated April Fool's joke?’ is closed to new replies.