Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trekking/hiking/backpacking bag recommendations?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking to buy a new bag.

Main reason is for 3 weeks travelling around Malaysia and Thailand (no camping so just clothes, cameras, souvenirs etc).

But then I’d also like to use it for hiking trips in Snowdonia, Scottish Highlands, wherever really – either one day hikes or 2-3 day hike/camps.

Not really sure, general consensus seems to think ~40litres should be about the right size?

Don’t think I want a big back vent deal as they take up a lot of room, just some air channels should be OK.

Want it to be able to take a hydration pack – won’t use one in Asia but will for hikes.

Current favourite is the Osprey Talon 44 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/multi-use/talon_44), but that’s mainly because the lady in Cotswolds recommended it, but also because it seems to have lots of good reviews.

But anyway, any other recommendations? The Osprey is £90-100 which is really a bit more than I want to spend, but it does look like a very good pack.

So yeah, any thoughts on other packs I should check out? Anyone seen any good deals around?

Ta, Duane.

Tonylem
    Free Member

I have just done the West Highland Way unsupported with an Osprey Kestrel 38, and my wife with a Talon 33. Both superb packs. Only thing I would say is using the hydration compartment on a lot of packs, these included, is very awkward. Its very hard to fill without completely removing the bladder, and if the pack is full, it’s a pain to get it back in. I went back to carrying bottles.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks. Would you say the 38 would be too small for a 2-3 day hike with a tent, roll matt, sleeping bag etc?

Also, how do they hold the hydration pack? The 44 has it between the main compartment and the back panel, so you don’t have to try squeeze it past whatever you’ve got in the main compartment.

Tonylem
    Free Member

The 38 comes up pretty big for its stated volume, but may be a bit of a squeeze with a lot of camping gear. Depends how light you travel I suppose.
    Yes the hydration pack fits between the back panel and the main pack. The larger packs do have a more substantial frame, so may make getting the bladder in a bit easier. Packs are a personal thing and fit is so important, so definitely try a pack with some weight in before buying.

ElShalimo

I’ve had a Talon 33 for nearly 3 years. It really is a fantastic bit of kit, tardis like, pretty robust, great design, easy to use etc. Used it for walking, climbing, travelling, biking etc.

Re hydration bladder. I don’t agree with Tonylem above. It just requires some lateral thought. 1 – fill bladder 2- shove in bladder sleeve 3- fill rucsac. If you need to refill it (pretty unlikely unless your doing 8hr walk in 35C) then empty a little bit of stuff from rucsac then place full hydration bladder in the sleeve. I’ve never found it an issue or annoying because compared to most rucsacs it a much better design i.e. external hydration bladder sleeve.
    For Malaysia etc I’ll assume you’ll just be buying bottled water anyway so it’s a non-issue

Don’t use Cotswold unless you can get a discount, they’re expensive and a faceless chain. Better deals can be had at independent shops

ElShalimo

As it’s a lot of money have a look at other brands too such as Pod, Aiguille Alpine, OMM, GoLite, Gregory etc.
    Lowe Alpine always make good quality well thought out bags

this is a cracking bag.

You really should try them in the shop with a load in too before you make your decision – many bags are not adjustable so if you’ve got a long or short back then these may not be any good for you. If it feels right then you’re half way there, the design & features are secondary to how it feels

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Go to a shop that lets you try a few and see what is comfy

Ewan
    Free Member

Thanks. Would you say the 38 would be too small for a 2-3 day hike with a tent, roll matt, sleeping bag etc?

That is *a lot* to get in a 38l bag. I just did 5 days unsupported across the alps (i.e. carrying own food) with a bivi bag and a fairly small sleepingbag (1kg) and used a 52L osprey variant – that was perfect with no need to strap anything to the sides. 38L would involve a lot of faff attaching things to the outside and you’d struggle to get your hydration bladder in as well. Minimum i’d consider would probably be a 45L job.

Duane…
    Free Member

Sorry, yeah I meant with strapping the tent and roll matt to the outside.

Duane…
    Free Member

So any thoughts on how a Osprey Talon 44 would be for multiday unsupported hikes? Would be in at least a group of 2 so some shared weight.

It’s just that I went to check out the bag again today with my girlfriend who has done more hiking than I have, and she reckons it may be a little small, not for the Asia holiday, but for future hikes. I just don’t want to get a huge bag which will get annoying.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trekking/hiking/backpacking bag recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.