Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trekking pole things- what's good around £50 for a pair
  • Northwind

My brother’s just broken his cheapo ones so I thought I’d get him a slightly less rotten set… I know nowt about such things, I know his current set has no antishock and he does occasionally mutter about sore hands. He’s about 6 foot and mostly leg so tiny is probably no good.

Any suggestions?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Alpkit? I have a pair of their previous run of carbon fibre jobbies and like them.

Six foot also, and I dislike the idea of sprung ones because I’d rather have the feel of solid contact.

scotroutes

I don’t like the anti-shock either.

Trekster

You also need to know what type and shape of grip he prefers 💡 no different than us bikers bar grip preference in that respect. Took MrsT ages to decide on a grip too suit her 🙄

Northwind

He will not have the slightest idea re grips, tbh, he got the ones he has because they’re the cheapest he could find, and he’s not tried anything else. Current ones are nasty moulded plastic things like you’d fine on a £3 umbrella. But lets assume standard grips not t-handle types.

Don’t think alpkit do one now.

vorlich
    Free Member

Fizan from Ultralight Outdoor gear if you want light ones, mine are lighter than the carbon ones they replaced.
    http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/trekking_poles.html

Or Black Diamond Traverse if you want something more robust, with flicklok.
    http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN5318

Philby

Leki have a good range – http://www.leki.co.uk/

shermer75
    Free Member
    slowoldgit
    Free Member

Sorry about that. I believe the CF takes out some of the jolts that ally would transmit. I like a cork handle and a wide strap which I adjust to take some of the weight on the edges of my hands. Padded-palm bike gloves help too on a long day.

boblo
    Free Member

@vorlich Those Fizan’s are nice and light but they don’t stand much abuse. I have a pair that I used when I did my Munro round and every part of each one has been changed at least twice.

The BD Z poles are worth looking at if you can find a pair within your budget.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve had no probs with my Fizans, other than a bit of corrosion internally due to lack of TLC. Have been fine for a chubster like myself and used to pitch my TrailStar too. Although admittedly, I’m not out every weekend like some folk…

Northwind

Great, thanks folks- decided to take a slight chance on the Fizans and assume that the set he broke were just bad, rather than him being hard on kit. I guess we will find out :mrgreen: Much appreciated

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trekking pole things- what's good around £50 for a pair’ is closed to new replies.