Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek Warranty
  • garry17
    Free Member

Quick query folks.
    I have a Trek Slash 7 that’s 10 months old.
    I only got around to swapping over to tubeless today and found an air leak from the rim, looks like the rim weld has cracked.
    Should this be covered under warranty?

dhrider
    Free Member

As long as its due to a manufacturing defect then yes.

If youve landed heavy on the rim and there is damage to it etc then no.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Some of the Trek wheels use a plastic rim strip and valve.
    Th rim strip fits all the way across and up the sides, so probably need to get them.

mtbfix

Back to your retailer and be prepared for them to want to send the wheel to Trek for a decision.

garry17
    Free Member

**** that,it’ll probably take ages for a decision and I don’t have a backup bike

scotroutes

Are you sure it was welded and not pinned?

tjagain

I bet scotroutes has it. Many rims are pinned not welded

garry17
    Free Member

Lads, I think youse are right…looks like it’s pinned alright…do I need to get the proper Bontrager rim strip to stop the leak?…I have Tesa tape on at the minute

trail_rat
    Free Member

If it’s taped propper it should not leak even if twas cracked.

seadog101

Make sure the rim strip goes all the way across the rim, where the join is at least.

coatesy
    Free Member

Get the correct Bontrager rim strip as they’re designed to work together, and provide the bead-lock for the tyre to seat into, which tape alone doesn’t really do (they aren’t expensive either, around £7 if I remember correctly)

garry17
    Free Member

Well lads, got the Bontrager rim strips ,but they have made it damn near impossible to get the tyres on (esp the Magic Mary). I’d be worried (given the grief that I’ve had getting the tyres on in the garage) how much bother I’d have if I had a puncture on the trail

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek Warranty’ is closed to new replies.