Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Trek superfly 2016. Anyone got one.
  • ceejay64
    Free Member

Hi , my local bike shop is offering deals on Trek superflys. I am intterested in upgrading from my Trek mamba 29er and was looking at the superfly 5 or 9.6 carbon. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

mrmo
    Free Member

What do you want. It is a race bike not a trail bike if that makes sense, not as twitchy as some bikes granted. Done a 90miler on mine and it is reasonably comfy once you ditch the tyres and bars.

ceejay64
    Free Member

which one have you got mrmo?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve an earlier version…

It’s fast, very fast, every ride it’s “faster fat boy”

wilburt
    Free Member

I bought one last week, love it.

Hit a top ten on a big segment just trying it out wearing sandals and baggy pants.
    Its also well made and well put together which Isn’t always the case with factory built bikes.

I went for the alu version btw, there are some great deals on carbon but the alu was in my lbs and I liked the colour.

orangespyderman

I’ve got the 2015 9.6 (same frame I believe) and I love it, but I’ve upgraded a lot of stuff. Tyres were dreadful from stock, and the brakes are worth putting something a little more “stoppy” in my opinion (I’ve got XTs on now) – though that may also be because I’m a bit fat. I also ditched the alu bars for carbon with a bit more give, and put a shorter stem on.

every ride it’s “faster fat boy”

This is true, if you listen to it. However in carbon frame guise at least you can just tell it to shut up and it’s quite a nice ride round a lot of varied trails.

biglee1

Ive just got a17 spec Superfly 7, it is rather quick but imo needs a wider bar 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2014 9.8 frame, all still the same. Really like it. It’s not that light is my only complaint – my frame was 1300g, which is underwhelming for a £1000 frame these days. The full bikes are good value though.

canopy
    Free Member

one of my riding buddies just got decent deal on a 2016 superfly 7.

i’ve seen it when round his, but we’ve not lined up for a ride together since he’s had it yet (maybe this w/e….)

little bit of an issue with the front mech and chain rubbage, but think thats sorted now after a trip back to the LBS

edit: oh and its quite pretty

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab has a shiny new 13.5″ Superfy 6 women’s in dreadful pink and black.

It seems just he right side of trail vs xc, lighter than anything else at the price point, hers also came with much better brakes than specification sheet said. It certainly seems nippy, gx 2×10 is good stuff.

I’m not convinced by tyres or saddle yet, and the bars just seem odd shape that no amount of rotating sems to solve. Gearing is daft – waaaaay to low geared.

mrmo
    Free Member

a 2016 superfly 9.6, so the cheap carbon one. but it is now set up with a different set of wheels, bars, seatpost and saddle. Some changes to save some weight and some trying to make the bike more comfortable. The stock bars were 400grams of very stiff alu, and the ride let you know! now got some Easton EC90s and it is far more comfortable.

skids
    Free Member

I have got one, i find it fun to ride, doesn’t really feel like a 29er. I wouldn’t describe it as a race bike either, pretty decent on the trails

13thfloormonk

Got a 2017 Superfly 6, still getting used to how fast it wants to go. Certainly didn’t live ‘up’ to expectations of slow handling for a 29er, absolutely loving the cornering and taking it through blue pump’n’berm trails.

Looking forward to changing bars, although might keep the stock ones for some winter CX racing and chop them down a bit!

Lots of excess seatpost though, lots to chop!

wilburt
    Free Member

I swapped the stock bars on my 19.5 (695mm 5d sweep 350g) for some Easton EC90(650mm 10mm rise 140g) old school riser bars that I had knocking around but just couldnt get on with geometry. The flat bars are part of the geometry of this bike IMO and that is what you are buying its an absolute hoot to ride as fast as possible.

orangespyderman

The flat bars are part of the geometry of this bike IMO

Yes – Have some wider than stock, but flat, carbon bars on my 9.6 and they really did make a difference. I’ve just swapped the Reba RLs (which have a straight steerer at least on the 9.6 and reducer crown race) for some new SID RLCs and it’s an absolute blast. Buttery smooth compared to the Rebas (which I always found bottomed out or were just too harsh on a series of smaller bumps – N.B I’m a fat knacker, though) and they really, really suit the frame which although the design is a few years old feels immensely capable. I’m a few years old too, and I feel a lot less capable than that 😀

If you’re changing the stock wheels, note that you can get a kit to convert lower range superflys to the through axle on the higher end models. I’ve done it, and I can’t say it changed my life (the change of wheels made the biggest difference on the first time out with the upgrade..) but I think it’s a worthwhile future-proof.

rideforlife2
    Free Member

If you’ve got a chance to get one of these bikes, go for it!

I’ve ended up with two they’re so good, one race bike (went a bit overboard with that one) and one for training. Both are a 9.6 carbon frame which feels loads better over a longer ride after comparing it to an Alu one. The Alu feels still in every direction which means it can be a bit uncomfortable for distance whereas the carbon smooths a load of chatter out.

Wheels are definitely the first upgrade I’d make to it…

Picture of Race Bike

jonnyrockymountain

Got a Ali 2015 frame and built up to a good spec, really like it, but thinking of swapping frames now I have seen they do a procaliber frame for £1200

Clink

If you’ve got a chance to get one of these bikes, go for it!

I’ve ended up with two they’re so good, one race bike (went a bit overboard with that one) and one for training. Both are a 9.6 carbon frame which feels loads better over a longer ride after comparing it to an Alu one. The Alu feels still in every direction which means it can be a bit uncomfortable for distance whereas the carbon smooths a load of chatter out.

Interested in this. Mag review I saw thought carbon frame was stiff and alu frame more comfy.

rideforlife2
    Free Member

I always like to try before I buy which is lucky when on good terms with the local bike shop. All comes down to personal opinion at the end of the day.

More than welcome to try mine if in the local area which is around Swinley…

orangespyderman

Mag review I saw thought carbon frame was stiff and alu frame more comfy.

There has been quite a lot of discussion on this over time. There is a review (BikeRadar, maybe?) saying that the 9.6 is “harsh”. All the discussion that I’ve heard from owners suggests that that could broadly be explained by running the stock tyres (XR2 Expert, I think) with tubes. They have a silly low profile, aren’t comfortable at all. My carbon frame is certainly not harsh wet up with some decent tubless tyres, and if you leap back to back on an alu hardtail there is no way I would describe it has less comfy than alu.

wilburt
    Free Member

I struggle imagining the bump suppression of hardtail frames, it seems to get discussed a lot in road and mtb circles but the chainstay vertical flex in either Carbon or Alu must be virtually nil.

A flexible seatpost and cushioning tyres must make WAY more difference or better still peddle harder and keep your weight of the saddle.

orangespyderman

the bump suppression

It’s not “bump suppression” so much as “chatter reduction” – it’s how much vibration gets transmitted to the contact points. It’s won’t flatten out a series of tall roots, but it may make them feel less abrupt.

I’m not good with the science, but would recommend you try a couple of variants (carbon, steel, alu) back to back on the same trails, you can definitely feel the difference – and some frames feel like your butt is being dragged directly over every last little root or stone and some feel smoother.

the chainstay vertical flex in either Carbon or Alu must be virtually nil

Why? Especially when you say :

A flexible seatpost

If my carbon seatpost can be a bit flexy, why can’t my, erm, rear end 🙂

13thfloormonk

Found mine disturbingly harsh on the first ride, thought I was going to end up with vibration white finger! All it took was 5psi less in the stock tyres and 10psi less in the forks.

Would have thought about fatter tyres but have got too used to the free speed of the skinny light stock tyres! 😳

njee20
    Free Member

I find mine comparatively harsh. Certainly wouldn’t call it compliant. Did the South Downs Way in a day on it with no issues though.

ronburgundy
    njee20
    Free Member

Welcome to the forum! 🙄

matt_outandabout

If my carbon seatpost can be a bit flexy, why can’t my, erm, rear end

Triangles and structure. They can bend, but it takes a lot more effort than *just* a long pole with saddle on top, to do so.

orangespyderman

Triangles and structure. They can bend

Yes I think they can, and I think one of the reasons they’re not just straight shafts is aligned in a single plane to manage how much and in what direction they would flex for a given load.

but it takes a lot more effort than *just* a long pole with saddle on top, to do so.

That long pole is quite a bit bigger section than my rear triangle, which may be triangular (albeit not in a single plane, as my comments above), but are a lot smaller section.

But don’t get me wrong, I just ride ’em 🙂 there are people who understand this far more than I. I just can’t believe the flex is “virtually nil”, and it certainly doesn’t correspond to what my bum thinks about the subject 😀 That was the only point I was trying to make. Maybe my bum is wrong. It has been in the past 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I. I just can’t believe the flex is “virtually nil”, and it certainly doesn’t correspond to what my bum thinks about the subject That was the only point I was trying to make. Maybe my bum is wrong. It has been in the past

I’d say it is. The profile of the chainstays in the plane you’re talking about them bending is larger than the seatpost anyway.

There will be a tiny bit of movement, but look at something like a Cannondale Scalpel for chainstays that are designed to flex. It’s not a design consideration (beyond a cursory nod) of the Superfly.

orangespyderman

You’re probably right, and maybe it isn’t flex, maybe it’s vibration damping, maybe it’s psychological, maybe it’s getting rid of the stock wheels and those silly little skinny tyres made of wood 🙂 but I don’t find it harsh 🙂

Maybe this is a princess and the pea type scenario and my bum is less of a princess 😀

Anyways, good bike, I enjoy mine a lot, to get back to the OPs original concern(I think 🙂 )

EDIT : and a few weeks ago I did have a look at the procaliber with the “broken” frame that flexes and the chainstay design doesn’t look so wildly different – but don’t get me wrong I’m more than prepared to admit that I don’t know much about this stuff

njee20
    Free Member

I also enjoy mine very much. It’s the only 29er hardtail I’ve ridden, and I also don’t have the stock wheels (as I built it up) or tyres, just wouldn’t call it compliant. It’s not harsh or uncomfy though. Goldilocks frame.

And because there aren’t nearly enough photos on here, here’s mine:

A shade under 19lbs with a different bar and stem and a few other tweaks.

timb34
    Free Member

I don’t have one, but it has to be one of the best bike names ever.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmo6MRYf5g[/video]

13thfloormonk

Actually on the subject of weight saving and chopping things, can anyone else tell me what the minimum insert is on their seatposts?

I was going to chop mine down but the minimum insert on it is so long there doesn’t seem any point, but then, shouldn’t the minimum insert be dictated by the frame?

Couldn’t find any info on the Trek site re: minimum inserts.

njee20
    Free Member

Mine is actually bang on the minimum insertion mark for the post, but I had the 300mm ‘in stock’ and didn’t want to have to buy a new one! Think it’s about 50mm from the bottom.

As you say though, you want the seattube/toptube junction supported by the post ideally. On the Superfly it’s quite a ‘short’ bit of seattube, compared to (say) a 90s Kona, where I’d want a good few inches in there.

wilburt
    Free Member

I swapped seatpost by just by chance as there was one of the right size attached to my fave mtb saddle, together they are also quite a bit lighter than the oe combination.

Could anyone recommend me some not too expensive wheels, c.£300-500, the usual places dont seem to have much of a selection is 29 becoming less popular?

cokie

I had a Superfly 9 ’15 that I bought to race XC- I changed the stem (shorter) and bars (wider). It was very efficient at what it did but it took all the pleasure out of riding. I was hoping it would feel a bit like the Epic I had tried (in terms of Geo), but it was just dull. I ended up taking an inappropriate bike to inject a bit of fun in the end. Nothing critical wrong with the bike- it wasn’t stiff and it wasn’t flexy. I got down some descents that people on longer travel FS bikes struggled with without any issues. Tyre clearance was fine and spec okay. Adequate in all departments, apart from ‘fun’, which is what riding’s about.

I’ve since had a go on various other Xc bikes and found them much more fun. I cant place my finger on what it was as the geo was similar, but the Superfly was truly dull. I found changing the printer cartridge more entertaining or discussing the merits of different GSM and paperweights for business cards more fruitful. Never again.

13thfloormonk

I changed the stem (shorter) and bars (wider)

This is becoming like MBR automatically switching to a riser bar on every bike they tested, since when was a 90mm stem and 720mm bars not short/wide for an XC race bike? 😯

(not a dig personally Cokie, I’m obviously just a luddite…)

ceejay64
    Free Member

I have gone and got a 2016 superfly, i will report back after i have been out on it 😀

ceejay64
    Free Member

superfly 6 😀

orangespyderman

Nice – have fun 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Trek superfly 2016. Anyone got one.’ is closed to new replies.