Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Trek Stache Standard 29er – Anybody done it?
  • funkmasterp

Hello,

I’m just curious as to whether anybody has tried a Stache with normal 29 wheels? Couldn’t find mention of it in the Stache thread. Would love to hear thoughts from anybody that has tried it. How does it affect the ride? What fork travel used, chainstay length etc?

Thanks in advance for any input.

jabbi
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve had two set up as normal 29ers Stache 5 Stache 7 I got the 5 cheap and didn’t get on with the plus thing, so tried it as a hardtail it was alright, tried it with 120-140mm forks, preferred 140mm, ultimately though I wanted something slacker, so sold the frame and forks.
    I was all set on a Chromag Rootdown BA only to be told they weren’t being imported, there was a distinct lack of boost hardtail frames about last summer, so when the 7 frame came up I bought it :oops:. I used it for a couple more months then got rid, not a bad bike at all, it was just a bit dull. I now have an NS Eccentric 29er and think it is a more fun/playfull bike.

iamtheresurrection

Just stuck a Hope Enduro wheel in mine yesterday so I could use the Stache with a Followme Tandem.

Took it for a ride last night uncoupled for 20 miles or so fitted with a 29×2 Mud X. I left the Chupacabra on the front but liked the ride on the rear enough to order a front wheel tonight. I’m fully rigid on a Stache 5, I reckon it’ll be a nice bike on a pair of normal 29s, and great for when the winter comes back.

Clearance on a 29×2 tire is crazy, it’ll be perfect in the mud.

funkmasterp

Thanks guys. Might give it a go at some point in the future.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I fitted some 2.4’s on the mulfut rims in the winter and it was fine for mud plugging duties….the clearances were huge with the conti mountain kings! It made me happy to put the chupas back on when it dried out though! Maybe normal rims would be better, but it worked well enough…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Trek Stache Standard 29er – Anybody done it?’ is closed to new replies.