Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trek remedy vs slash in surrey hills
  • ssparks77
    Free Member

I know this question has been asked before, but I’ll ask it 1 more time. Got a remedy, but I like the aggressive look of a slash. Been told its too much for surrey hills. Anyone care to give their opinion?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Probably.

tomhoward

What did we say last time?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d not want to ride one. I’d say a Remedy is probably too much for most of the trails. But if you want to, go nuts!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Both are overkill.

HTH.

br
    Free Member

Remedy’s are a bit steep on the front end 😉

But both are overkill for the ‘Hills’, unless all you are doing is sessioning little bits.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Only use my Remedy in the Forest Of Dean on Downhill tracks and few other Downhill places.As said would not Bother using in places like Surrey Hills,Quanocks,Peaks etc.The Slash does look great did think about one but alot of bike to get about the trails.But if you fancy one go for it why not.

jamj1974

But if you have great fun on a bike it doesn’t matter if its too much! Buy what you will enjoy riding!

ask1974
    Free Member

Slash was bred for the extreme demands of Megavalanche Enduro events. A bike built for the most technical, high-speed riding without sacrificing pedaling efficiency. Built for tackling the entire mountain.

Always think it’s best to ride whatever makes you smile… this quote from Treks website would suggest that it’s possibly a little much but there are trails where it’ll be great, if you’re sessioning them all day then why not.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I enjoy the Surrey Hills on my hardtail. I enjoy them even more on my 176/180mm Patriot. If your happy with the weight penalty on the climbs, your’ll reap the benefits on the desents. As said before by many ‘the best bike in the world is the one your riding’. 8)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am a firm believer in each to their own re bikes, but am genuinely interested in this question. Which runs, parts of SH do you feel are best suited to either bike. Where do you get their full potential versus theirossible downsides? Personally I would have though that 80-90% of SH best suited to XC and AM trails and my mates who have “bigger” bikes have actually been moving back to less travel bikes over past year or so.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I think for me the simple answer is. The more gravity is on your side, more bounce is better. Although flatter rougher trails are easyer to travel along at speed with more travel. Smooth and uphill trails the weight penalty becomes an issue. And yes 180mm travel is probably over kill but i can still hold ny own against people on more xc/all mountain rigs, But its my bike so obviously it IS the best bike in the world! Even thou its getting a bit old old now and has several extra welds!!!

Digger90
    Free Member

As many have said – it’s important to ride the bike that inspires you, makes you excited to ride, and is a reflection of yourself. So go with that choice.

My two-pennorth’ … having ridden SH on everything ove rthe year from fully rigid, to 120mm, 130mm, 140mm, 160mm and yes, even a couple of rides on 180mm bikes (oh, plus CX bikes and single speeds), I get the very best out of the trails on a 140mm Turner 5 Spot. It has that perfect blend of singletrack thrash-ability and gnar capability.

I swap my forks around a bit from time to time depending upon where my head is at: 150mm air Revelations for zipping around, 160m coil Lyriks for chunk.

I think bikes like Blur LT, 5 Spot, Mojo are ideal for up there.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

What does “too much” mean? As above, it’s a personal thing, extra slog up vs faster down maybe?

Personally, my BLT2 with Lyriks is perfect for techie stuff in the Alps and Spain (and Lakes etc), I’m not really familiar with Surrey, but would have thought you could get away with something a bit smaller on those trails if you wanted to.

ssparks77
    Free Member

I’ve had my remedy for a year now and still love it. I just like the look of the slash as its more slack. Plus i get bored quickly. I’m not really into xc, mainly just sessioning. That said, I need to pedal to get to the jumps! I asked the question while my 9 is still worth something for a trade in. Spoke to someone last week who has one and he said too heavy and too much travel so kind of put me off the idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do you get full use of it?
    when you do should you?
    would skills be a better investment?

my favorite lakes bike at times was a 456 with a set of fox 36’s on it
    2 mega’s
    3 months in total in the alps and 160mm is all I need for tough trail riding. Sometimes that is overkill

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trek remedy vs slash in surrey hills’ is closed to new replies.