Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trek Remedy rear shock query – possibly one for LOCO
  • gonzy
    Free Member

this one isnt for me but for a friend who still hasnt joined STW to ask his own question.
    he has a Trek Remedy which has a Fox RP23 shock fitted.
    he’s recently done some training with a former DH racer and since has learnt some new skills/confidence for doing DH, jumps and drops
    the problem he is now finding is that the shock is bottoming out more than usual and he is finding it a bit unnerving.
    he wants to change the shock and is thinking of getting a Fox DHX Air or similar, but i was under the impression that the shocks on remedys can be difficult to replace as they need to have the DRCV shock tuning to get the most out of the design…i may be wrong here so if anyone can shed further light on this i’d be grateful
    the bit for LOCO is this:
    i’d recommend that he gets the existing shock tuned properly to his weight and riding demands before looking at changing it for a new one…should he do this first?

continuity
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it isn’t the “DCRV tuning” that is special to the remedy design, but the mounting and shock size. Top end remedys now come with monarch debonairs.

I think there are conversion kits or guides online if you want to do some bodging?

I found that with my dcrv, I could not get the pressure right. Just get him to put a bit more pressure in for now and put up with the chatter.

gonzy
    Free Member

but the mounting and shock size.

that as well. i remember seeing a CCDB for sale on Pinkbike that had a lot of work don to the mounts and the the shock tune to get it to replicate the DRCV action.
    i’ve told him to add a bit more air to the shock and increase the compression but he says that in order to stop it from bottoming out the amount of air he is adding is having a significantly adverse effect on the small bump sensitivity.

I think there are conversion kits or guides online if you want to do some bodging

he’s useless with bike tools and more so at bodging…and i live too far away from him to be able to pop over to do it for him

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Some tuning to his new found riding style might be a better investment than a brand new shock, that’s the route I’d go down as it’s amazing what a difference a properly tuned shock can make. Or at the very least differing his own setup to take into account the fact he is now riding the bike quite differently, assuming he has not already done so?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy rear shock query – possibly one for LOCO’ is closed to new replies.