• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trek remedy creaking from everywhere
  • swainy90
    Free Member

Recently purchased a trek remedy 9rsl. Must admit the bike is awesome to ride but it’s driving me crazy the creaking. Started at the headset set stripped re greased put back together and 2 rides later it’s back. Now it sounds like it’s also creaking at the pivots and cranks. Is this a common problem with the trek or is something not right somewhere. I keep feeling like when it beds in it will stop but it’s getting worse….. I must admit I haven’t stripped the bike down to re grease pivots/ cranks but I do want to ride the bike rather than permanent maintenance. Any help greatly appreciated

Poopscoop

New bike mate, or bought second hand?

swainy90
    Free Member

Brand new mate. Probably ridden 6 times now. One uplift day rest xc of roughly 6 mile a ride each so not had many miles at all

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Straight back to the shop in that case

mrhoppy

Mine creaks too, ace bike noisy as ****. Going to try a strip down of the bearings while I can’t ride over the next few months and see if that sorts it.

swainy90
    Free Member

I agree mate I can’t fault how the bike rides it’s immense but the creaking is driving me crazy. It’s strange because if I’m stationary and bounce around on the bike nothing but start riding the trails and it’s like a rusty nail.

Poopscoop

Sorry op, no offence but have to ask, it’s not jet washed after rides or anything?

I feel your pain by the way, got a clicking noise from the Jeffsy at the moment. That said it’s a simple cure (I hope)of slapping some new carbon paste on the stem to carbon handle bar interface which is where I think it’s coming from.

swainy90
    Free Member

The bike has been cleaned twice I just use a normal hose and muc off. Dry off, spray all pivots with muc off mo94 and use fork juice for forks, shock and dropped. I think my cleaning routine is reasonably good but open to suggestions. Think I might just take it back to the shop but I’ll have to say to him ride some trails to here it creak haha

Poopscoop

Can’t say it sounds like a bad cleaning routine. A trio to the lbs might be the way to go then mate.

Hopefully you get it sorted, too nice a bike to be annoying you with these noises. Oh, is it a press fit BB by the way?

swainy90
    Free Member

Thanks mate I’m hoping it just beds in haha. Yes it think it is press fit but I think if anything the bb is probably the least noisy. The main is from the headset then the pivots. I haven’t got a torque wrench to check the torque setting which is the only trouble as maybe they possibly too tight or too loose.

scaredypants

good luck – it’s never from where you think it is

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2017 trek Fuel EX. Was creaking like mad, was the main pivot axles pretty dry from new (A friend in a Trek dealer said it was common) pulled the axles, cleaned and greased then back together. Been fine for months now

milky1980
    Free Member

Same as simply_oli-y except mine’s a 2015, repacking the bearings solved it. The integrated headset still creaks after a particularly muddy ride but I ignore it now!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve ever had a creaky headset in a bike unless it’s properly worn out. Is there any play in the steering? I’d want the shop to check it’s pressed in properly.

Pivots shouldn’t really need greasing to not creak either – the trouble with grease external to the bearings is dirt and grit will stick to it and wear the pivot hardware and frame.

Hope you get it sorted!

swainy90
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys. The headset has integrated bearings which basically just fall out so I’ve packed that full of grease and did rectify for one ride. As with the pivots I might just take back to the shop and I’ve don’t really want to strip the whole bike down on a basically new bike. Hopefully will be something silly and an easy fix

alextemper
    Free Member

Other option could be rattle the internal cable routing that sound awfully like creaking when on the trails. Have noticed with Trek that bikes using the control freak routing tend to be more noisy than those that use their older internal routing.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Pull the wheel axles, clean, grease and ride….!

julzm
    Free Member

We’ve a slash RSL and trek RSL in our house. Both have had short instances of creaking. Mostly its been the headset, needs to be massively greased up. Other thing is if the stem is over-tightened that causes a creak too.

Both of ours have had the pivot bearings replaced under warranty but they have each done around 1000 miles and do get jet washed. Currently both are completely silent and have been most of the time.

One of them has had a knock block failure, it was quickly replaced under warranty. Both bikes are really awesome.

tomd
    Free Member

Fork CSU? Mine started creaking a few years ago (a Trek incidentally but forks are Fox). I blamed every other but of the bike before I worked it out.

I guess the noise resonates through the frame.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Clean the pivot bolts, give em a light grease, my 3 ride old Bronson did same, was a bit of grit on main pivot bolt interface.

Perfect ever since…

julzm
    Free Member

This might be way off but….

I’m riding along last night on my perfectly silent Slash. Managed to get a stick stuck in the jockey wheel, lean down to remove it without getting off the bike, from that moment I have a squeak as if I’ve a parrot on board. it was driving me so nuts I went home early.

As I’m about to start stripping the bike to find it, I realised it was the seatpost that had slipped every so slightly and was rubbing the frame inside the seat tube a tad.

Both Remedy and Slash have the (IMO) stupid kink in the seatpost – maybe just check it’s not in slightly too far??

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trek remedy creaking from everywhere’ is closed to new replies.