Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX9 2013 – Fork fettling?
  • kevin1911

I have a Trek Fuel EX9 2013 that I’ve only recently had time to actually start riding. I previously had a 2010 model that I loved – it was taught and plush in equal measures so climbed and descended really well. The main things that have changed between the two models are the introduction of the DRCV valve into the fork, and the switch from RP23 shock and RLC fork to CTD versions of both.

I’m finding the 2013 model just doesn’t seem to be as lively and fun as the 2010 model. Specifically, the fork just seems to be really dull and, er – constipated is about the best word I can think of to describe it. When I set up the sag as per the manual, the fork just feels too hard, and never gets more than 40-50mm of travel. When I release some air, the fork seems to sag way too much, but still only gets about 60-70mm of travel. I have the trail adjust set to the softest position, and the CTD in descend mode.

Has anyone else had the same sort of experience, and did you find a way to set it up better? Is it something that some TFTuned or Loco loving would sort out?

I’m half tempted to swap it out for an RLC model!

Kevin

jkomo

Is the rebound too slow? Bogging down?

kevin1911

I don’t think so – it seems to rebound fairly quickly when I do the standard push-down-hard-on-the-bars boing test.

klunky
    Free Member

Push do kits for the DRCV fork to make it stand up a bit better and make it less wallowy.

Its cheap kit IIRC.

DRCV works ok in the rear shock IMO but its pish in forks.

kevin1911

I wish it was a bit wallowy. It feels like the oil just can’t flow through the holes fast enough.

captaintomo
    Free Member

I have the 2013 fuel 7 with the standard evolution fork. It was part of the recall last year and they sent it back with new internals I think.

But anyway, I never got the full 130mm travel, only 100 max. So after a bit of searching i found out it could be the cause of too much oil in the air piston. So after a seal and lower leg oil change I opened up the top cap and I found quite a bit of green oil there. Drained this out and replaced with a few ccs of float fluid.

It’s done the trick. I now get 120mm travel. Happy with that 🙂

captaintomo
    Free Member

How-to

Follow the steps outlined in video but instead of adding fluid. Drain any out and then add some millilitres of float fluid.

In my case this sorted it out

kevin1911

Was that the open bath model? I think the fork on the ex9 has the fit damper which is sealed. It does feel like to much oil. Or too thick oil. Or something 😉

Edit – oh I see! I missed the but about it being in the air chamber. I may well have a wee look inside!

captaintomo
    Free Member

Yeah mine is open bath, but even if yours has the fit cartridge I believe the video is still relevant. Only takes a few minutes to check. Might as well 🙂

captaintomo
    Free Member

Any news on how it went?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX9 2013 – Fork fettling?’ is closed to new replies.