Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX8 / Top Fuel 8 – should I, which one, any good, any pics, any FS ?
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Am thinking of purchasing one of the above, would prefer 100mm 4" (Top fuel) travel but could got 5" I guess (EX8)

What are your thoughts on them – any good, any decent pics, any for sale ? (would need 19,5" frame or 21,5")

Thanks for any help / advice :ROLL:

MicArms

Hiya Bunners,
    Can't coment on the top fuels but have got a ex9, which I'm more than happy with.

Size wise, I'm 6foot 2 , so run a 19.5 size frame, however, be careful when buying etc, as Trek in their numptiness give you the actual frame size ( 19.5 ) and the virtual size (18.5). When ordering the size size, you have to order actual frame size….

MicArms

Mine started off as the very first run EX8 when they were released in 2008, rear swing arm snapped around the disc mounts after about 5 months of use. New rear stays in 24 hours from my lbs, ( this was a a problem on the 1st run of large size frame running 185mm rotors). Then after about 18 months I managed to nack the drive side thread on the BB, expected to pay for a new front triangle, but Trek were superb, upgrading frame to 2009 EX9 with better shock.

Upgraded the fox forks to 15mm bolt through, got a gravity dropper seatpost, wheels are hope pro 2s, xt brakes, , currently the only part of the bike still from the original ex8 is the saddle, front mech and shifters!

Dalesbikecentre

Hi Bunnerscj,

They're both good bikes! Anthony here is particularly fond of the 2010 Top Fuel, he's taken it round lots of Swaledale here and also in the lakes on stuff like Nan Bield, Sadgill and Gatesgarth and really rates it. His mates were all on 160mm jobbies and the Top Fuel was just phenomenal. It's also mega quick.

He took a 2010 EX8 to Morocco a month ago and had a ball – there's a picture of it going airborne on our facebook fansite!

They're both cracking bikes, the 2010 ones are very impressive and the new DRCV shock is a bonus – really stunning. You do need to try before you buy though – we've a full demo fleet with both the 2010 Top Fuel (17.5" and 19.5") and EX8's (17.5", 18.5" and 19.5") in. Do let us know if we can be of more assistance.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Dales bikes,
    Thanks for the offer but in Sussex I am proba litle too far away, I do have a Trek dealer in town so might pop in and see him

What size do you reckon for 6ft 4" with 34" leg – I can get away with 20" hardtail (had an on one, got a Kona Unit 29er both been in 20")

Would prefer smaller rather than larger but as long as I can get full leg extensio for distance riding I dont mind, would prefer 19,5" If and only if I could get the room ?

Thanks again

madone
    Free Member

I have ridden both the Top Fuel 8 and the (last year's) EX8. Personally if it was my money I'd have the Top Fuel, but it depends on your riding style.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Probably most is XC with some trail centre stuff thrown in, Top Fuel be any good or would I need the EX for that ?

Pyro

Hey up. I had the same quandary a couple of years back. Bought an EX8 and thought the ride was superb – the full-floater and ABP did seem to make the ride feel very different and really nice… BUT…

After a few rides at Dalby, a couple of short adventure races and a lot of bimbling round my local trails, I decided to swap for a Top Fuel 8 – kindly assisted by someone on here.

Basically to me, the extra inch of travel didn't seem to be helping my descending any, but the extra pound or two in weight did hinder me on the climbs. The lighter bike seems a lot better on the ups and I still keep up with friends on longer travel bikes on the downs.

The new Top Fuel, with the ABP and Full-float should ride superbly, if my experiences of the older bike and the EX are anything to go by. And the EX isn't exactly a heavyweight, but it was an important consideration for me.

Hope any of that helps!

Pyro

treksimon
    Free Member

Trek in their numptiness give you the actual frame size ( 19.5 ) and the virtual size (18.5). When ordering the size size, you have to order actual frame size….

Sorry wrong.

We sell bikes by virtual frame size, the actual frame size is only used to establish what size the bike in front of you is.

A virtual 19.5" is Actually 18.5"

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I'm confused with this trek sizing business – so a 19,5" bike is actaully 18,5 centre to top – is that right ?

Trek website lists the different sizes 19,5 would be the one Im interested in but——does that actually mean the centre to top measurement is infact 18,5 as I doubt this would inturn fit, its all about the last inch (oooer mrs)

🙄

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The top fuel is absolutely fantastic! I had the chance to raz a 9.9 last year at glentress, and you'd be amazed how much you can throw it around. It is one of the very fastest bikes money can buy! The EX is excellent too!

timraven

Truly love my EX8, thoroughly enjoy all 5inches of travel. Swapped the fork lowers for QR15 which stiffened the front end considerably. Either would be a great buy IMHO

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX8 / Top Fuel 8 – should I, which one, any good, any pics, any FS ?’ is closed to new replies.