Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Trek Fuel ex7 or Spesh Stumpjumper FSR Comp?
  • Nomad
    Free Member

My mate is after his first full suss. He’s got about £600 to play with and had found 2 bikes (listed above). He’s asked my advice but I’ve never owned or ridden either of these bikes.
    On paper they both seem very good and reviews are positive.

What would be your choice and why?

Cheers

N

nickwgbr
    Free Member

From memory the stumpjumper always used to do well in the tests whereas the treks always seemed to have slightly lower marks, due to spec or weight or geometry or something.

I have a SJ comp from 2010 and love it, light, capable, reliable. Great all round trail bike.

I like the ex range as well though, but when I was looking (bought new) I was comparing it against the Ex8, not the 7 so check spec.

Either way if they are £600 they are likely to be older so condition, relative age, any upgrades on them etc is equally if not more important. If new I would have the stumpjumper, if older I would buy on condition/actual spec.

stumpy01

What year? I test rode both bikes back to back when looking for a new bike.

The FSR for me was loads better. It fired me better, gave me loads more confidence than the Trek, had better grip (tyres?) and the suspension was much nicer. We spent ages trying to get the suspension right on the Trek but we couldn’t get it to feel right.
    Even the two blokes I road with who are anti-Specialized thought the FSR was better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel ex7 or Spesh Stumpjumper FSR Comp?’ is closed to new replies.