Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Trek fuel ex 9.8/9.9 Your thoughts and alternative suggestions appreciated.
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

I am a keen beginner and would appreciate any advice, input, bike suggestions.

I cycle varied terrain largely in the Peak District – big ups and downs with beautiful xc trails. I weigh about 131/2 stone and am fit.

I was initially looking for a bike with handlebar lockout because my first bike (2009 specialized fsr xc) necessitated me constantly fiddling with the rear suss, which I hate. However, another thread has suggested a bike set up correctly with good rear suss should not need altering all the time.

The trek fuel ex has been suggested and after reading about it for several hours, it certainly seems to get good reviews and I could afford a 2009 model 9.8 or possibly 9.9 in the sales
    However, I would love to hear your opinions (good or bad) if you have ridden one.

All input appreciated – thanks Andy

skiprat
    Free Member

Hi Andy

I read your other thread and agree with what the others were telling you. I have a 08 Fuel EX8 and think its a great bike. Its light, well built, well kitted and the suspension is soooo smooth, you just don't know about it or worry about it. It may take a bit longer to go up hill than other bikes but when it goes downhill, it can take it all. Its comfy for all day rides and it rides well on technical trails too.

Only problem with the bike was the tyres and rims. Just a proper sod fitting tyres. Got some new wheels and all was sorted.

I live between Sheff and Barnsley and so ride in the Peaks and the bike just rides well. Puts a smile on my face!!

willsimmons
    Free Member

Hi again Andy, you already know that I am a big fan of mine… Not sure I agree with it not going uphill quickly though! I think that depends on how you set it up. If you put on XC race tyres/wheels then I don't think it would be too different to a more XC racing machine. Certainly not with regard to suspension efficiency.

If I recall correctly the 2009 carbon Fuel EXs are not much lighter at all than the alloy ones. So in my opinion you would be better off getting an Alloy 2010 one as the changes they have made are useful, with particular reference to the shock. Good run through on Bikeradar:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/trek-2010-putting-the-fuel-ex-through-its-paces-22468

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack but how tall are you? I have an almost new Fuel EX9 for sale in size L (19.5") if any interest? dc30 AT fsmail.net

njee20
    Free Member

I had a 2007 Ex 9.8 and it was a great bike, certainly climbed nicely, and they've only made them better since then.

I put XTR and some Chris King wheels on mine and it ended up at 25lbs, it was a great bike. Sort of wish I'd not sold it really.

Go for the carbon 9.8 over the alu 9 though, sorry B-S!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Trek fuel ex 9.8/9.9 Your thoughts and alternative suggestions appreciated.’ is closed to new replies.