Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • trek fuel ex 8, anything i should know?
  • ali69er
    Free Member

Looking to pull the trigger on a 2013 model, it seems like a good pric e at 1400 gbp, it will be my first full sus. The lack of a rear thru axle seems to be the only negative but I have never really ridden bikes with them or I could get a remedy for a similar price but I hear its a bit wobbly up front. I think 150 mm would be overkill for my riding which is mainly singletrack and small jumps. Any advice or thoughts?

sm
    Free Member

+ 1 as I ‘m about to get the credit card out as well.

tomd
    Free Member

I have a 2012 one, I had a look at the 2013 and they seem to have adjusted the frame slightly and put cheaper wheels on it vs 2012. It’s a plenty tough bike, for £1400 you can’t go wrong. Sounds ideal for your use. It would be a bit heavy / overbiked if you didn’t want to do a few jumps or drag it up mountains and the like. The bike radar review seems a pretty accurate critique.

ali69er
    Free Member

Is the rear. 9qr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Where from at that price?

matther01
    Free Member

Not sure about the 2013, but my 2012 is rear thru axle compatible if you buy the converter kit (£27), thru axle and hub adapters…my next upgrade.

The 2012 is 9QR…but really long QR for the ABP and require a specific bonty one if you lose it.

Great bike, upgraded mine with AM classic wheels,dropper and 140 talas forks and reckon it is now pretty much my do it all bike.

With 130 front and rear on 2013 would imagine it’s just as good and you can upgrade if needed over time.

ali69er
    Free Member

I am in NZ so not helpful. Are the hub conversions easy it do u need a whole new hub

matther01
    Free Member

No need for a new hub unless the stock wheels that come with it don’t accept adapters…the 2012 wheels did so assume yours will too.

To be honest I haven’t felt I REALLY need the thru axle…just always wanted it as a nicety.

wolfrider
    Free Member

I love mine.like you it is my first full sus.the 2013 is 130 mm travel instead of 120 which I find is plenty.ive never noticed any lack of stability in the rear end but have been told you can get tbe conversion kit and its no fuss to fit.

br
    Free Member

If you’ve not actually demo’ed one, then it doesn’t matter how cheap they are if:

– doesn’t fit
    – you don’t like it

etc, etc

ali69er
    Free Member

Gong to check one out this weekend, hopefully to buy. I change bars and stem as needed. Very few fit perfectly as stock. Anything t9 look out for with the drcv

rOcKeTdOg

They are doing a 29″ version next year, maybe worth considering depending on your preference

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They are great bikes.You can get the 29er EX now they are out saw one last Saturday in muddock.

ali69er
    Free Member

Well, I can’t see why they are doing this when there is the rumblefish unless thats going out of production. I think I prefer the snappyness of the 26 inch wheel. I tried a couple of spesh 29ers, the camber and stumpy and found them nice, but a bit like being on the bridge of a ship. Also at 88kgs, I wonder how much the wheels would take

nicolaisam
    Free Member

29er Version is available now aswell.

More money though

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Your right Rumblefish was a stop gap.Now RIP.

rOcKeTdOg

I tried a couple of spesh 29ers, the camber and stumpy and found them nice, but a bit like being on the bridge of a ship.

What are you, MBR? Basing every test on a specialized? There’s just a chance that a completely different bike might ride, well, differently

ali69er
    Free Member

No, MBR said I was too much of a fan boy. I had just tried those two bikes, thats all, access to demo stuff is not the same here as it was in the UK.

justatheory
    Free Member

£1300!! That’s a bargain, is that second hand? I need a replacement for my Canyon that was recently pinched.

EDIT: Just spotted that you’re in NZ. Are bikes cheap over there then?

jairaj

I demoed the 2012 Fuel EX and thought it was very nice. Nice slack geo to make it a good descender but also a lowish front end so wasn’t a pig on the climbs.

The back end was one of the most composed designs I’ve tried with fantastic grip while breaking.

Almost went for it but I really wanted something a bit tougher as I looking to progress into doing larger drops and jumps so went for a Transition Bandit26. But if was looking for purely a single track machine then the Fuel EX would be at the top of my shortlist.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘trek fuel ex 8, anything i should know?’ is closed to new replies.