Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX 29er – any reason why not?
  • simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve a 2017 9.7. Swapped to a 140mm Pike. And upgraded wheels and a few other bits.

Great all round bike. Raced in and around Scotland, ridden in Finale and handles everything with ease.
    It’s fast up down and everywhere in between.

Moved it to the steep/high setting and swapped to a 120mm fork and light tyres and took it to a week long stage race without any issues.

With a bigger fork it’s definitely low though!

Friend runs his with a 150mm lyrik.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

simply_oli-y would you say that with the 140 or 150mm forks it is actually quite a bit slacker than ‘advertised’ as per comments made elsewhere?

I am thinking 150mm would be what I would put on there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was pretty much set on one, but decided against after a demo.
    Write-up here

I preferred the Slash actually – but bought a used Enduro 29 instead and modified that to a similar geometry.

As you know I also built up a bargain Mega 290 later – which is a bit longer in the front and way longer at the back. Love them both but if I was just having one bike I’d possibly want something with chainstays around the 440mm mark as a compromise.

HTH

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Yeah chakaping we seem to be going through similar bikes at different rates!

Edit – had a wee read of the write up and I think, a bit like I was the demo bike wasn’t quite right for you which is always a shame but often the case.

Are you still on the 290 now?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes only just getting the 290 dialled in. It’s very much an enduro bike, wouldn’t want one as my only FS but the E29 complements it very well as that’s really a long-legged trail bike and much more playful.

FWIW I think the Fuel EX might have been just the ticket if I still lived down south and mainly rode woodsy singletrack.

Bit of a tangent but did you consider the Cotic RocketMAX? That’s probably the “one bike” I’d have, if my legs weren’t so stumpy.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I notice the change of 10mm from 130 – 140 forks (went from fox to Pike)

Probably now sits around 66.5 or slightly less. with 150mm it will be sub 66.

You have to also remember 66 on a 29er feels different than 66 on a 650b/26 bike.

Not sure on size you need, but if your near the tweed valley and an XL is right then your welcome to a shot on it.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I do want XL and I occasionally am in the Tweed Valley so I might take you up on that. What height are you if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve been solely on 29ers for a few years now so theres no adjustment needed from 26/27.5 wheels but I’d like the HA to be around 66*.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 with a gorrila like ape index.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Same as me then just about!

Anyone had any issues with the knock block when running non bontrager stems?

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I’ll more than likely be pestering you for setup advice Oli – I got the 27.5 wheels + alloy frame though

goltim

Oli – did you try both the 19.5 and the 21.5 (XL)? I was set on the 19.5 (after a short not particularly useful ride on roads), but am similar proportions to you: just under 6’1, but with long legs (35″ IS)/arms (+6cm Ape Index) and a short torso. You have me thinking that I might be better off on an 21.5 frame.

Grateful for any thoughts.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

No didn’t try a 19.5.

My ape index is approx plus 15cm. So a somewhat comical length

And I like a long tt/bike anyway.

revmatt
    Free Member

What is it like for XC riding? Could you use the Fuel EX as an all rounder XC trail bike and do the odd XC race on it? Cheers

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m sure you probably could if you wanted to.

It’s probably a bit of a tank in those terms however.

I still see it as an aggy, short travel trail bike, much like the Smuggler – it’s a bit of a weird bike in that sense for Trek.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

RevMatt it’s pretty good. I dropped my forks to 120mm, moved the switch link to the high setting and put some light tyres on, then used it in a 6 day xc stage race.

That changed it to around 68.5ha which is similar to the new spark.
    Was fine. It’s never going to contend a proper lightweight xc bike (if your racing at the sharp end) but for one bike, if you had a good spec and a set of light wheels and tyres and a light fork to fit, you could get it down to fairly competitive.
    Though the frame is 0.5kg heavier than the top fuel.

I’m getting rid of my ff29 hardtail and keeping this as 1bike with alternate tyres and a short fork (currently just change air shaft on the pike)

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX 29er – any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.