Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • trek ex9 seat tube cracked weld, warranty opions ?
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I had purchased an upgrade rocker link for my 2008 trek ex9. After unbolting the orginal rocker i found that there was a crack in the weld in the seat tube that is usually hidden by the rocker. The crack goes half way round the seat tube.
    I contacted my local dealer who on inspection confirmed that theframe would need replacing and have said they will contact trek and put the wheels in motion. They also said that they would need to charge me £60 to rebuild the bike.
    Does this seam fair or should i argue the point ?
    Has anyone else come acrss this problem with there EX or are there others hidden behind the rocker?
    I only ride xc and trails so its not been abused and its only 6 months old.

jonb
    Free Member

Should be covered under warranty. I had a friend crack a chainstay on a ex 6 and trek are replacing it. The warranty might only cover replacement, not the rebuild costs which is what your bike shop are charging. Isn't that much for the work that is involved but I'm not sure you should be paying it.

fubar
    Free Member

Is this where you bought the bike ? If so it's out-of-order IMO….you bought a new complete bike from this shop (?)…if so I'd expect to be put back in the same situation i.e. with a complete working bike – certainly in the 1st year and dealing with the shop where the bike was bought. If it's not where you bought the bike then that's a bit different and they need paying by somebody .

mrmo
    Free Member

strip and rebuild the frame yourself and save yourself the £60. I only paid for the headset on my warranty Lemond a while back.

jimw
    Free Member

I had the same issue when I had frame fractures(3) in space of 8 months- Trek warranty dept. were extremely good and very fair with warranty for replacement frame(s) but I stripped frame each time and rebuilt myself to avoid charges. The first frame was 18 months old- perhaps at 6 months they might help with rebuild costs? £60 seems about the going rate for the job. I should say that they were carbon Top Fuel frames not alloy EX

theotherjonv

This kind of thing annoys me. You aren't asking for a rebuild because you want one, you're asking for a rebuild as a result of a defective part. I simply can't see why you have to shell out.

I know bike shop dealerships don't work exactly like car dealerships, but when my car was recalled recently so a faulty valve could be replaced, there was no way I'd expect to have to pay the labour charge to have it done. I'm sure the dealership back bills that to the manufacturer and I can't see why the same doesn't hold with bike shops?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id do it yourself, that way you can spend the 60 getting new gear inners & outers, new chan and cassette, new rigs, mech etc (delete depending on whats needed).

will give it that nice new bike feeling again 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘trek ex9 seat tube cracked weld, warranty opions ?’ is closed to new replies.