Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Trek EX8/9 – anyone got one?
  • solman
    Free Member

Hoping to buy my first ever FS bike, and seeing as the Trek EX got good ratings and reviews, I’m now thinking of getting one.

So what do STW massive actually think of this bike?

GTDave
    Free Member

I have the 2009 EX8. It’s very bloody good indeed, and capable of much more than my riding skillz allow it to do!

stumpy01

I test rode one and thought it was horrible but I have since found that the rear shock may not have been set-up quite right; although we fiddled with it a fair bit.

I test rode it alongside a Stumpjumper fsr, which had much better suspension performance, gripped better & for me had a more confidence-inspiring riding position.

I was a bit disappointed to be honest, as I really liked the look of the bike and fancied a change from years of Spesh ownership….

I’d like to try another one at some point to see if I hold the same view…
    I’d definitely consider the Stumpjumper fsr though – the 2011 ones look pretty nice with 2×10 drivetrain & SRAM carbon cranksets…..

Tinners

2009 EX8 here and way beyond my capabilities too (although, if you’d seen me ride, you’d realise that that isn’t saying much).
    I haven’t ridden many other bikes to compare (I find it hard enough to find the time to ride my own bike, let alone test lots of others) but it felt right for me – even if the top tube initially felt a lot higher than my previous Specialized bike. I’m not expert enough to give you an in depth assessment, but the only minor niggles for me were the standard tyres (which were changed for me by the LBS at the time of purchase), the difficulty of getting Bonty tyres on and off the tubeless ready rims (needs a crow bar, not tyre levers) and I wouldn’t like to try to change the Avid juicy pads trailside. The biggest downside is the cost and frequency of servicing for the Fox suspension – if you believe the manufacturer’s recommendations, although that, obviously, isn’t unique to this bike.
    I’ve got a hefty dent in the down tube and apparently this is a common thing with EX8s (but I can’t see how that would be unique to this bike either, though). A big deciding factor for me was that my LBS (Rocky Mountain Cycles, Talbot Green – not so local for me but close enough) is held in high regard for the quality of their workmanship and the warranty is very good indeed. The way a bike looks isn’t that important to me (I’d buy a fugly if it was good), but I’m often stopped by other riders who comment how good it looks. I’m unlikely to get rid of it any time soon and I’ve been told by a dealer that the frame and bearings are covered for the time I have it and if I get any problems with the Juicy levers sticking, Trek will replace them for Elixirs free of charge?
    I only ever do gnarly, vertical downhill sections and 10m drop offs by mistake, having let my concentration lapse and failed to stop in time, so the fact that it can survive the subsequent carnage speaks volumes.
    So, for me it was a double whammy of good bike and good dealer nearby if it goes wrong.
    (I realise that my assessment may be a bit too simplistic for you – apologies)

Tinners

PS I notice you say “first ever FS” bike. Again, apologies for my rather simplistic assessment, but my EX8 was my first FS bike too and the biggest thing I noticed was that it simply allowed me to go way faster without crashing (up to a point). When I revert back to my old hardtail, I can believe how much more “dangerous” it feels and I have to slow down quite a lot (I appreciate that my own lack of skill contributes to this as much as the bike, though). The Trek is also considerably more comfortable on a long ride than my old hardtail.

Tess
    Free Member

Hi I have a trek fuel ex 8 wsd. The tyres are rubbish – no grip on anything so they were changed to hi rollers, the brake pads are easy to change. I bought it to do the Trans Provence 2010 and it coped very well under v rough tough conditions. BIke emerged unscathed however I would try a few bikes, there’s a lot out there. Depends on what riding you want to do. Agree with Tinners re what sort of a deal you can get from the shop selling it – v wise words.

splashdown
    Free Member

Yup, 2010 EX8.

It’s the mutts nuts…

Only things that I’ve changed are:
    1. Swapped stem for a shorter one,
    2. Threw away the horrible Bonty tyres that came with it.

Apart from that it’s been brilliant and has so far with stood some very hard abuse without complaint.

stumpy01

Only things that I’ve changed are:

Suspension aside, this probably sums up my experience I guess.

1. resulted in feeling a bit ‘over the front’ all the time
    2. the bike was all over the place, whereas on the previous lap on the Stumpjumper there were no such issues. Couldn’t tell at the time if it was the tyres or the suspension not performing as it should.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Do this and you have an amazing bike.

tonyg2003

I have a 2009 Ex8 and one of my riding mates has a 2010. Both great bikes when you ditch the rubbish, “tubless unready” tyres.

Trek Ex’s aren’t trendy but they are bloody good.

Mine has also been very relaible. I ridden it loads, thrashed it and all the pivots still show no slack.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

I got 2010 Ex8. Good stuff.

the Bonty XR2 tyres have been OK for me round the Chilterns, they give a predictable slide if that makes sense – helps going round corners if you don’t sh*t yourself and know they’ll hold. Rear DRCV shock and full-floater Suspension is good – doesn’t take long to set up, and there’s a video on Youtube if you get stuck.

There are some demo weekends coming up – Giant, Trek and Specialized:-
    http://www.thedemoseries.co.uk/

kevin1911

Got a 2010 EX9. Love it. Climbs really well – probably as fast as anything else I’ve ridden, and I’ve ridden quite a few bikes. Descends brilliantly – much better that you’d think a 120mm bike could go down.

1st thing I done was put a shorter stem on. The tyres are actually pretty good for stock tyres. They are sketchy in mud, but on the other hand, they roll very fast and offer pretty decent grip on most trails I’ve ridden them on. As they’re nearly worn out, I’ve got some XD4’s to replace them with – they look to be a bit knobblier (is that a word?), so will hopefully cope better with a bit of mud.

I honestly can’t think of anything to criticise about the bike. And I’m normally quite critical.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’m looking at the EX9 too, the 2011 model with the 142mm through axle. Anyone have any opinions about the press fit BB, or know if you can fit a chain device for 1×10?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

2009 ex8 here- tbh bought in a bit of a rush off the stw classifieds after I had my Orange 5 nicked but really like it- have changed the bars, shorter stem .seatpost and saddle.
    Overall feel is very stable whether that will convert to ‘ a bit boring’ only time will tell but I do need a skills compensator.
    However- they are not a rarity on the trails- you can either get exorcised about them being a bit mondeo like or actually look at this as a ringing endorsement of their quality- great warranty also.

ampthill

I have a lowely ex 6.5. Same geometry…

My only grumble would be that the down tube seems very ding suseptable. The only one so far is only paint deep but I’m a bit nervous now

Tyres swapped for high rollers yes, shorter stem yes

Better than my old tail yes. Climbs way better

I like the old fashioned seat tube.

But if you can test some alternatives give it a go

solman
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, great feedback. One question, what size stem did you change to? Appreciate it’s a personal thing but would like to get a feel.

rOcKeTdOg

i but an 80mm on my 18.5″, rides lovely, i liked the bonty front tyre that came with it, great spring and summer wyre, bought one for my 29er because of it

crotchrocket
    Free Member

got a 60mm stem on my ex9 now.
    I’ve dropped the bonty boots it came with & use some bigger chunkier high roller rubber as it usually only gets used on pretty rocky stuff. Got a SS hardtail for trail centres 😉

pop-larkin
    Free Member

90mm stem here on a 18.5 frame

norcbot
    Free Member

Get one! In have a an ex9 but did the same as every one dose. Swap the tyres out and change the seat clamp as the bonti one will get bent. Loads of shops have demo ex8.

solman
    Free Member

cheers all, going for a test ride this weekend.

rolo
    Free Member

Hi, did you test ride the EX9 last weekend? If so, what did you think of it?
    Has anyone else had a test ride on the 2011 EX?
    I am thinking of buying one, but can’t decide to get the 8 or the 9.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got a 2008 model – great bike but shit tyre clearance on the rear

M6TTF
    Free Member

Second the crapness of picking up dents on the downtube, I’ve flattened it just infront of the BB!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Trek EX8/9 – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.