Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trek EX8 or Ghost AMR Lector 8700
  • thursty
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new full suspension bike. 140mm bike recently stolen but don’t see the need for this much travel and now fancy 120mm travel bike which is a bit quicker. Narrowed it down to two bikes above. Yep, Ghost is carbon and Trek Alu but by replacing some of the Bontrager kit (inc wheels) I could get the weight of the Trek down a little (really don’t like Bontrager kit especially wheels after a few bad experiences). Ghost seems to be really good value and cheaper models seem to get good reviews. Not had a chance to ride either yet but would be interested to hear what people think.
    Thanks,

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey, I’ve never ridden or worked on the ghost, however looking at the design of it, I don’t think it will be as capable a frame as the trek.

My mate was here on friday with his 09 trek fuel ex8 and the design, build quality and weight of the bike is very impressive.

I agree about the bontrager components, they are quite crap, the wheels on the bike I serviced where badly buckled and the front bearings where ruined, why not buy a used frame from ebay and simply build it up with the parts that you want to run.

If it was my choice I would hands down go for the trek, upto you though and good luck choosing the right bike! 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

I am in the market for a trek and I’ve owned a lot of frames/bikes.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-anyone-own-an-2009-trek-or-newer

Tom83

I had a go on a ghost full susser at a demo day last year. Only had 30mins on it, but it seemed ok to me. It was muddy as hell though, so i couldn’t get a great feel for it, but it felt pingy and quick on the terrain that wasn’t water logged. Would’ve liked a wider bar though!

I know that’s of no help, but hey!

LeeW

MBR have compared the Ghost and the Trek in their last couple of 120mm bike tests over the last year. IIRC the Ghost came out top in both reviews.

One review is the March 11 edition. They’re the lower end of the range to what you’re looking at but they might give you a little more of an idea of ride etc.

kaesae
    Free Member

Do you have any links?

Any input would be good, it will give thursty a better perspective on things and me as well 😀 .

thursty
    Free Member

Thanks for advice. Looks like sizing for Trek needs to be carefully considered. MBR helped with the shortlisting. Leaning towards the Trek at the moment. Also like spec on EX9 but raw alu finish looks rubbish in real life. Trek really have some dull colours this year (got to look good!).

kaesae
    Free Member

Looking good is a must if your spending serious money, I just ride what ever I can get my hands on!

I like the design of the new trek bikes, with the right parts the fuel ex bikes could provide serious fun and excitement!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trek EX8 or Ghost AMR Lector 8700’ is closed to new replies.