Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trek EX8 and running 140mm fork
  • matther01
    Free Member

Anyone running a fixed 140mm or talas fork on their EX8?

Does it make a big difference in handling if the BB raised & HA decreased?

Also, does anyone know if it invalidates the warranty?

Cheers

mrben100
    Free Member

From Trek website

What travel suspension fork can I put on my Trek bike?

Each bike in the Trek ATB product is designed with a specific fork travel/length based on the geometry and usage of the bike. We also test the frame to the travel of the fork that is spec\”d. If you change the travel of the fork you can effect the handling of the bike and also effect the leverage on the frame. We do not recommend a longer fork nor will we warranty the frame with a longer fork.

EDIT: I’m in this exact situation with an EX9 that I’m tempted to put some U-turns on that go up to 150mm. Original fork is 120mm.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Simples get a Remedy. 😆

Wozza
    Free Member

I ran my EX 9.8 with 130mm forks for a year or so plus a week in the alps and it was just fine. For a week or so I stuck a 160mm lyrik wound down to 145mm on it. Steering and climbing were as before but it started to show up the back end when you really hammered it.

chrismac

We put some 140 forks in one to make it a bit more friendly for the Alps this year. Worked fine. My LBS told me that the frame is acutally warrantied to a 140 fork.

jairaj

I contacted trek about this. They said as long as the A-C length was the same they are happy with whatever I fork I put on it.

But they do not recommend and will not warranty anything with a bigger A-C length.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’m doing the 140mm thing on my EX 2008 and it’s great, better than the 130mm original, just. The head angle feels a little more balanced once you get used to it.

slugwash
    Free Member

Do it!

It transforms the bike and it still climbs pretty well. I put 140 U-Turns on my EX7 and took it to the Alps and it was kickin’ 🙂

(The fact that the Trek’s still in the bike bag 14 months after returning from the Alps is down to bad weather and probably having too many other bikes. I must get around to putting it all back together and hitting Dartmoor’s finest granite)

mrben100
    Free Member

For fear of being branded a dunce – A-C length? 😳

EDIT: effective top tube?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Axle to Crown

mrben100
    Free Member

^ Chairs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trek EX8 and running 140mm fork’ is closed to new replies.