Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trek Domane
  • seanthesheap
    Free Member

For the same price do i go for Ultegra electric shifting or Dura ace cable shifting?

I dont race.

The bike will be fitted with fatter tyres and ridden on tracks as well as tarmac.

Or do i go for the disc braked version and save a little money?

I’ve never tried Di2 so i have no idea what it’s like.

stany
    Free Member

Di2’s fantastic. Perfect shift every time. No question. But, it won’t make you faster.
    DuraAce is super slick and light. But it will cost a fortune to maintain.
    Disc brakes rule

dickie
    Free Member

Are we talking about the 5.9?

I bought the Di2 version, because at source I had the cassette swopped for an 11-32 & medium cage mech (not an option on Dura-Ace)& because I preferred the red & white colour scheme.
    I had the saddle checked for width which ment I needed a wider version than stock so had white fitted & white bar tape.
    The tyres I had swopped from the stock R3 for tubeless R3 with a tubeless set-up. (running 80 psi makes a comfy bike even comfier).

njee20
    Free Member

Di2

whitestone
    Free Member

Go for Di2. Dura-ace is for those who’ve money to burn.

Maybe get the disc fitted bike if you live in a hilly area.

What groupset does the disc fitted bike come with? Possibly 105 which is still more than adequate for 95% (made up figure and probably low) of all riders. There’s not much difference between 105 and Ultegra manual shifting to justify the cost for example.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Yeah disc braked bike is 105, cheap looking chain set though, i’d have to get the shop to change that part.
    I don’t live in an hilly area.
    I know i won’t go faster with bling parts but i’ve never had a bike with top of the line kit on before, my current roadie has 105 on it.

njee20
    Free Member

Di2

seanthesheap
    Free Member

LOL @ njee20
    I am leaning that way to be honest, in my head at the mo it’s…
    1. Di2
    2. Disc brake, 105
    3. Dura ace

akira

I’m curious about what you mean by tracks? If you’re not just riding on roads I’d be looking more along the lines of a specialized diverge or something similar.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

@ akira

Not proper off road tracks, more like un surfaced roads, i use them on my road rides on my current road bike with 25mm tyres on, slightly fatter tyres would be nice though, the Domane can run 30mm apparently, 28mm would be fine though.
    I have looked at the diverge and i like it, however i would like to support my LBS and they don’t sell Specialized, i think the Domane will be fine, if i works for Paris Roubaix…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sell a kidney and get the 6.2 disc

akira

Ah fairy nuff, I’d find it hard to resist dura ace if I could afford it di2 is lovely but dura ace mechanial would be on my ultimate bike.

swanny853

I’d have the 4.5 disc. Then the di2, then the dura ace. But definitely the 4.5, ride it for a month then spend some of the difference on anything you really want to upgrade.

swanny853

To explain the reasoning there discs rank above fancy shifting and both rank above shiny and weight.

njee20
    Free Member

I disagree, unless doing lots of winter commuting and riding, when I’d perhaps consider discs.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Discs on a bike you’re going to ride come rain shine hell or high water. If it’s going to be a ‘best’ bike then I’d have Di2. Simply because replacing any part of dura ace is bloody expensive ie cassette chain or chainrings.

akira

Put ultegra cassette and chain on when replacing and you’ll be fine. And if you think about replacing mechs then di2 is pretty eye watering.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you want a climbing/sprint shifter then Di2 but functionally there is very little between mechanical and electronic (not something that could be said for 6700/7900 generation).

velosam
    Free Member

Discs and di2 if you can, otherwise just di2

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trek Domane’ is closed to new replies.