Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trek Crossrip – experiences? alternatives?
  • mangoridebike

Hi all

I’m considering a Trek Crossrip as a cx – exploring type bike and wondered if anyone out there had any experience with the bike and what their thoughts are on it?

Also how does it compare with other offerings in that price range?

Thanks

timbur
    Free Member

Alternatives :O)

Giant Anyroad
    Saracen Hack
    Kinesis Tripster

I’ve got a Tripster built and it’s rather lovely.

mangoridebike

Thanks Timbur – I’ll have a look.

The Crossrip has the benefit of being in my LBS so the easiest to get hold of, anyone with any direct experience?

aP
    Free Member

Review here
    Looks like a cheaper, greyer version of my 3 year old Portland.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Someone at my work has the basic one.

He bought it as it was the only cross bike at that price range to include disc brakes. Including the discs means that the rest of it is a bit compromised to meet the price point IMO.

It’s heavy and upright for the road and not particularly well set-up for off-road. It’s niche is probably winter commuting.

If that’s what you’re after, it’s probably great.

mangoridebike

Thanks Teaboy – what do you mean by not well set up for offroad?

theteaboy
    Free Member

what do you mean by not well set up for offroad?

Not sure really – a quick spin round the carpark just felt a bit sluggish and not particularly manoevrable.

It’s probably not fair to say it’s not well set-up for off-road – it’s just that I’m used to cross bikes built to race and this is more of a cruiser than a racer.

timbur
    Free Member

Take a look at the new Giant CX bikes for 2014. They look rather nice after this years efforts.

jim
    Free Member

Worth looking at the Pinnacle Arkose too if you’re looking for this kind of thing.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also how does it compare with other offerings in that price range?

Compared to Pinnacle, Boardman and Merida’s offerings, it’s a bit basic, spec wise, IMHO.

mangoridebike

thanks very much everyone – from the sounds of things no one has really ridden one, I’ll give it a try and try some of the others recommended as well

Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

This might help, OP.

http://road.cc/content/review/79994-trek-crossrip-elite-2013

…also some further discussion in the comments section.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

thanks very much everyone – from the sounds of things no one has really ridden one,

I’ve ridden two. Not in anger I admit but Crossrips are easily one of the nicest bikes I’ve ever ridden. They are part of Treks ‘city’ range and intended as commuter/tourer/all rounder, but they really feel like a light, fast MTB rather than anything else. Stable yet flickable. . I was in the market for a road bike and I seriously considered getting a Crossrip instead. They handle beautifully and look fantastic IMO. I’d have a Crossrip over any other CX bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is one at the bike shed at work. looks very similar to my salsa vaya. geometery charts also look similar.

Vaya is very stable, long rangey bike – certainly not flickable like a CX bike. great for long days out and rough surfaces. it’s so stable that you can ride off road on slicks easily.

i would try and get a ride on a crossrip and on a proper CX (race) bike. trek ion maybe. and see which you want. they are very different types of bikes imo.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just re read the thread and spotted this

Not sure really – a quick spin round the carpark just felt a bit sluggish and not particularly manoevrable.

I honestly couldn’t disagree more. I can’t imagine what have you that idea unless you only ever ride road bikes. It’s not a road bike! 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

They’re alright, a bit heavy though.

mangoridebike

Thanks everyone for the further comments 🙂

I’ve booked a demo of the Crossrip so I’ll see how it goes, my LBS are happy to order in other bikes if needs be.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trek Crossrip – experiences? alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.