Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Trek bike – why not ?
  • rigid_carbon
    Free Member

I am looking to upgrade my CX bike for a disc frame. Currently I ride a cannondale.

I really like the look of the Trek Crockett but there is something deep down stopping me buying a trek ?!?

Any thing to do with lance ? Are they mass produced – arn’t all mainstream bikes mass produced anyway ??

Just can’t put my finger on it.

Any wisdom or advice out there ?
    Cheers. D.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You ride a Cannondale and you’re stressing about buying something thats mass produced?

And don’t worry, Lance Armstrong didn’t build it. He won’t come and inject you with EPO if you buy one.

I’d be more worried about every Trek I’ve ridden/owned being pretty sh*t.

pjt201
    Free Member

In cyclocross terms, if it’s good enough for Sven, it’s good enough for anyone else!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The Crokett was built for Katie Compton to race on before Sven turned up and the Boone was born. Big difference between those two, but it’s still a nice frame, although I’d look at the Ridley range as well for disk CX racing frames.

Trek have issues, (Armstrong, Lemond, Klein), however so do Specialized and most other major manufactures. At least their OCLV range is still made in the US, if that’s your thing.

In my experience they have an excellent after market support system and I’m pretty sure my next MTB will be from their 2015 range.

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Is the carbon frame set really that much better ?

The build between the Crockett and Boone seems similar. I’ve not looked at the geometry.

Plus there’s a nice set of wheels with the £1200 difference !

njee20
    Free Member

At least their OCLV range is still made in the US, if that’s your thing.

Only the top top ones – 7 series Madones/Speed Concepts and SLR Emondas.

The Boone 5 looks great, I’m tempted by one as a winter bike!

eddie11
    Free Member

theres the lance thing and of the mainstream manufacturers they have always been the most boring and they killed bontrager, fisher and klein (sob)

But the positve is the crocket looks a proper frame for cross with nice details (welds, seatube slot, hidden mounts, paint) carbon fork and good chainstay and seatstay clearance.

DaRC_L

George Dubya Bush rides one 😆

rewski
    Free Member

can’t knock their warranty policy

LMT
    Free Member

I had a few treks over the years, would happily have another if I hadn’t discovered canyon. Value for money mtb’ing has taken over a bit, if I had the cash I wouldn’t hesitate to get one of the new fuel ex’s or a proper road bike from a trek dealer.

The only bug bear is you have to go to the bike shop to buy the bike and sometimes the nearest dealer is miles away, other than that can’t think of a reason why I wouldn’t or you shouldn’t.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m a brand snob, I wouldn’t want a Trek. Entirely unreasonable but I understand where you are coming from.

AlexSimon

If it doesn’t excite you – I’d buy one that does.
    There will be one somewhere as lots of disk cyclocross bikes are out this year.

rOcKeTdOg

The 600 series Boone frame is lovely

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Throwing Lemond under a bus for questioning LA’s performance for me, I’ll never own a Trek product. Plenty of bland mainstream corporations to buy from that didn’t destroy the livelihood, reputation and health of a genuine legend.

Northwind

There’s something about the brand that’s never clicked for me… Never really found the same about Giant or Specialized either so not sure why, it’s not just size. Their insistence on reinventing the wheel- DRCV shocks that spoil more bikes than they improve, this new daft rear wheel standard, etc- does put me off a bit.

But ya know, i rode the 2 current Remedys… The 29er’s one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden, and the 650b is one of the most fun. So they can’t be doing too much wrong.

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Well Im off to trial the Trek Crockett disc on Friday.

The build does look slightly better than the alu cannondales.
    But will this frame be as good as the cannondale ?

Still cant get the feeling though …………

D.

tomhoward

Oddly, I’d never have a Trek MTB because they are incredibly vanilla. They stir up no emotion in me whatsoever, either mechanically or aesthetically.

I really like the road bikes however, both mechanically and aesthetically, and have a 1.5 winter bike and a Madone 5.2 for sunny summer sundays and love them both.

rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Well, went to look at it. Lifted it up and down a bit, sat on it, pulled the brakes a couple of times then walked off.

quite a dull experience really.

stoney
    Free Member

My 6.2 project 1 is Ace….

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I think the trek full susses ride great much better than those over rated and over priced Santa Cruzes with jack-s–t of a warranty.
    Hay Ho we are all different.Boone is a great bike mate has one.

tomhoward

I think the trek full susses ride great much better than those over rated and over priced Santa Cruzes with jack-s–t of a warranty.

Ooooh get her!

amedias
    Free Member

Well, went to look at it. Lifted it up and down a bit, sat on it, pulled the brakes a couple of times then walked off.

So you didn’t actually ride it?
    I can understand not being excited by a bike at first glance but surely better to judge a bike on how it rides?

chestrockwell

The fact they went around buying up decent names bitd just to pinch the technology then dump the brand once they’d got what they wanted did them for me.

And they’re dull.

eshershore
    Free Member

The non USA made Trek frames are certainly good quality – all made by Giant 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Trek bike – why not ?’ is closed to new replies.