Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek abp rear ends
  • WildHunter2009

Hi all, i seem to have done something rather random to the rear wheel of my shiny new toy. I was just getting rid of the plastic disc thingy they stick behind the cassette on new bikes… With not to much resistance i’v managed to slide the whole cassette off? and to toothed cog thingies ans a wee spring.

Now i’v fitted and removed a few cassettes on older bikes before and definatly remember it being a damn sight trickier than a gentle tug!

Is this a feature of the abp rear ends? and how do i get it all back on etc?

Cheers!

theotherjonv

sounds like you’ve pulled the whole of the cassette and the freehub off. Nothing to do with the abp, all to do with the wheel. What wheel is it?

WildHunter2009

Its a DT Swiss hub of a 2011 fuel ex9.

theotherjonv

OK, don’t know owt about them. Have had shimano which don’t pull off, they’re bolted on and Hope which do, push fit only, never had a DT swiss.

You must have the axle still poking out of the wheel, can you slide the freehub back on? But may be a git because if the pawls and springs are loose like on the Hope you have to find them all first (under the fridge / workbench) and then you’ll need 3 hands to get it all back together.

njee20
    Free Member

Toothed cog thingies sound like the star ratchets, but you’d not find a 240 hub on an Ex9. Can you not just put it all back together!?

As above, it’s nothing at all to do with the ABP.

RustyMac

I am not sure of the specific DT Swiss hub used on your bike but you may find the following video usefull in putting it all back together.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZQJS0IQM0[/video]

WildHunter2009

Axel is still poking out of wheel, Unfortunatly it all pinged apart fairly rapidly so i dont actually know which way around the bits go… Spring first makes sense but less sure about the two toothed rings/pawls? Are they supposed to mesh together?

ruscle
    Free Member

It will be a 240 hub in bontrager shell/wheel. If its all come out you should put it back in order of spring then the 2 star ratchets together (teeth interlocking) then the other spring, slide free hub with cassette back on and push it together with a anti clock wise twist. Their held on by the seal, so is easy to pull apart to clean.

alexpalacefan

LBS.

APF

njee20
    Free Member

It certainly sounds like it, and ruscle’s advice is spot on, assuming it’s a DT 240, which is impressive on an Ex9, they never used to come that low down.

So yes it’s: conical spring, star ratchets (teeth togehter), conical spring (wide end against star ratchet), freehub body, and give the end cap a good push to get it all to seat.

WildHunter2009

Cheers guys that video was spot on, exactly what I needed and all fixed now! Thanks everyone!

theotherjonv

and don’t do it again!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek abp rear ends’ is closed to new replies.