Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trek 1.1 road bike. Any good?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Cheapest one they do but it’s all I can afford and need.

Anyone got one?

mboy
    Free Member

For the money, go 2nd hand, or buy a Giant.

Recently spent not much more than you’re planning on doing so, on a road bike myself. I looked at several options, a couple 2nd hand, the now cheap Boardman Comp (nice, but too racy), the Trek, a Specialized or 2, some online specials and the bike I ended up buying… A Giant Defy 2.

It’s hard to describe, but the Giant was literally in a different league! Significantly lighter than all but the Boardman, better frame, better wheels, better kit, better groupset… OK, I bought a 2010 model with money off, but there are still some knocking about. What size do you need?

Out of all I tried, and coming from someone who has previously been a big Trek fan, the Trek 1.1 felt the cheapest and nastiest, was certainly heaviest and poorest specced too!

Check this link out for a few significantly reduced 2010 models

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Yes i bought one in November as my winter cycle club ride as i didn,t want to put to many miles on my good carbon Cannondale. For £500 i have been pleased with it and there have been no problems whatsoever.
    For the money, i think it was a good choice.

wors

Try mk cycles in bolton they do giants the defy is great value.

RustySpanner

Sue bought a 1.5 from Cooksons at Christmas. Same frame as the 1.1, which is fraction lighter than the Giant Defy frame, but looks a bit more agricultural.

Your more than welcome to have a go, really impressed with it TBH.
    It’s a 54.

Should also be out on a road ride Sunday (with HtN Louis!).
    Give us a bell if you fancy it.

Just remembered, can”t you just stick slicks on the Uncle John?

Harry_the_Spider

I’m road riding on the UJ at the moment (well not at the moment, but you know what I mean). I just liked the look and the price of the 1.1.

It’ll be months before I can afford it anyway as I’ve got a holiday and a carved oak green man garden sculpture to pay for.

What are your plans for Sunday time/distance/starting point?

RustySpanner

Usually 30-50 miles, leave mid morning.
    Often head over the Graine Road or over to Burnley way.

Not sure if Louis coming yet, might give Ed a shout as well.
    Go road riding evey Sunday now as Sue’s shoulder still rough.

Harry_the_Spider

Can’t get away until afternoon. 😐 MTB with Mr Starship or head towards Rammy and The Rake on the UJ I think.

edhornby

you rang? 🙂

i’m free sat morning but not sunday

Harry_the_Spider

Well this is all getting very chummy!

8:30 on Tuesday evening for a road night ride if anyone fancies it. Terrahawk is involved so expect hills!

RustySpanner

Sorry Ed, can’t make tomorrow – nephew’s 2nd birthday do all day.

Can delay Sundays ride and set off in the early afternoon if it helps anyone – not really bothered what time we go as long as I can listen to the Archers first .
    Usually out for three or four hours including a cafe stop. Set off from HtN country.

8:30 on Tuesday evening for a road night ride if anyone fancies it. Terrahawk is involved so expect hills!

It’s a nice idea and I love hills , but the only way we’d be able to keep up would be if someone drove into his other ankle or he contracts consumption.
    Let us know if he does though, sounds fun.

Sorry for not getting back earlier – just been to Croma for Sue’s eldests’ 30th.
    Nice in there innit?
    Might still be nice in 11 years time when you next get a night out Ed. 🙂

Will send a mail/phone if things change.

Harry, you’re welcome to try the bike any time – just get in touch with myself or Sue and we’ll arrange it.

EDIT: Bloody hell, those Vitus frames look good for the money.
    Mate from Tod has just bought one of these:
    Guercotti Simoni replica from Planet X.
    It’s beautiful and weighs nowt, but you could build a lovely bike for less than the price of that frame.

Harry_the_Spider

Pete, I’ll do my own thing on Sunday as I’ve only got 2 – 3 hours and I’m less than reliable due to having two small kids! Thanks for for the offer to change though.

Enjoy the ride, coffee, Archers etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trek 1.1 road bike. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.