• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jody.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trees in pots
  • SaxonRider

We are reconfiguring our back garden, and want to put out a few nice evergreen trees in pots, but as you can probably tell from the way I have even described them, know nothing about them.

What suggestions would you make for a tree that stays healthy in a pot, doesn’t get a massive amount of direct sunlight, stays green all year, might grow anywhere from three to six feet high, and looks nice?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I would have said a pine or juniper would be the obvious shout but both generally like lots of direct sunlight, perhaps a yew or a spruce.

SaxonRider

Are there dwarf versions of these, or is it just pruning that keeps them containable?

bearnecessities

Olive is a pot friendly tree and reasonably hardy. Slow growing bugger though.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Completely ignoring the evergreen requirement but … Japanese maples! They’re slow growing, don’t need loads of sun, are low maintenance, happy living in pots and look so gorgeous at this time of year

myti
    Free Member

Buxus.. not really a tree but most trees will outgrow a pot fairly quickly unless it’s huge and not a great deal of evergreen trees I can think of that would work.

jimmy

What huckleberry said

bigyinn
    Free Member

You might want to bear in mind that if you ever need to move, a biggish tree in a big pot is going to be a bugger to move!

mark90
    Free Member

Though a damn sight easier to move than a biggish tree not in a pot 😉

Watching the suggestions as we’re after something similar.

The size of the pot will make a difference.

I’ve got a three foot ash in quite a small pot. It must be about 10 years old now and seems quite healthy, but the pot restricts it growth.

I’ve got olive and cherry in larger tubs (half barrels) and they seem OK.

I reckon Yew might be your best bet for an evergreen, although it is very slow growing. I had one in a tub and it did very well, until it got killed by ants.

Keep any eye out for these, they seem to like making nests in pots and move all the soil away from the roots!

twixhunter
    Free Member

Japanese Maples (aka Acers) all day long. Look good without leaves in the winter and rest of the year look great as leaves change colour. Don’t like windy locations or direct sunlight. Water well and mulch.

BillMC

Again, ignoring evergreen, fig tree in a pot

andyl
    Free Member

Not a tree but I think we have a Hibiscus at the flat that we rescued from the narrow raised flower bed as it was not doing well. Now doing very well in a large pot as it has more room and better soil and is very manageable and doesnt grow too big. Red flowers are nice too.

nostoc
    Free Member

Dwarf conifers, No. If you want winter interest get a Hamamelis.

nostoc
    Free Member

…..for winter flowers on bare stems and scent

jody
    Free Member

Japanese Maples if your after something that looks really good and is easily managable. I have developed a bit of a collection over the last few years. All in pots. They aren’t evergreen but still look good in winter due to their shape.

However I reckon you can keep almost any tree in a pot. Below is a picture of a conker tree. This year is I believe its 30th birthday as I planted it when I was a kid. The picture doesn’t do it justice as its the wrong time of year but you get the jist. If this was planted in the ground it would be as big as a house now.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trees in pots’ is closed to new replies.