Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tree surgeon types – Killing off a sycamore tree
  • theotherjonv

I’ve just lopped out one of those weed sycamores that seem to grow 10 feet overnight. Because of where it is I can’t get in properly to dig the stump out, do i need to do owt with it? Is it OK to leave the stump in or should I treat it and if so, what with?

highclimber
    Free Member

Hire a stump grinder or get someone with one to do it. if you are looking to save a buck try pouring some diesel on to it – I’ve heard that works for most trees though some tree huggers might not like that. Then again they’d object to you needlessly slaying a harmless weed

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Re-cut the stump, then paint it with round-up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

drill it full of holes then pour in diesel repeat for a while then torch it, stump grinder or chemicals stuff
    You can dig under t attach a chain and pull the chain with your car but I would not actually recommend doing this unless you film it.

allthepies
    Free Member

Redneck styleeee ?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ch92Hp-1Vo[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gorehound
    Free Member

Speaking as an Ex forester. Drill holes in the stump and fill them with just about anything toxic From waste engine oil to cyanide ( under no circumstances do I recommend the latter). Bleach, Jeyes fluid, diesel etc will do the job. The best way is to remove the stump completely with a stump cutter (not advisable unless you know what your doing) or dig the whole thing out. Removal is the quickest greenest way.

theotherjonv

cheers gorehound. I can’t get to it to grind it out (it’s between a wall and a fence that isn’t going to be shifting any time soon) so sounds like a drill and some strong (undiluted) weedkiller.

Thanks all for the more creative solutions too.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If there’s nothing you value near it, drilling some holes and filling them with ordinary salt might work. Well I’ve always wanted to try it.

swamp_boy

Salt will work. Amcide [Ammonium sulphamate] is good stuff too. Used to be marketed as a stump/ brushwood killer, but the for various reasons its now labelled as a compost accelerator, most garden places should have it. It comes as crystals a bit like sugar, so is easy to use and breaks down when gets into the soil, so the environmental impact is low.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tree surgeon types – Killing off a sycamore tree’ is closed to new replies.