Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tree problem – anybody know about fungal infections?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

We’ve got a wee tree (I don’t know what type it is 😳 ) that developed a nasty looking fungus type of growths on the trunk.

We’d really like to keep it if possible

Anybody know what it is and how to get rid of it?

The tree

The fungus at the base

A close up of the fungus

Bunnyhop

It’s looking ( by the shape of the leaves) like a sycamore. They’re classed as weeds to some people. That’s a guess though.

Haven’t a clue what the growth is..

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Your tree is certainly some sort of Acer, sycamore belongs to this family, but I dont think thats what it is.

As for your your trees problem, have a read here….

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0602/chestnut_scale.asp

frenchie
    Free Member

Its not a fungus, but a type of bug with a waxy coat protecting it from insecticides common this type of tree, sycamore. the tree has thin bark at this stage and is susceptable to attack as the bug ‘plugs’ into the sap flow for food[ sugars]its called ‘mussel scale’ I think.
    Best thing to do is to wipe it off with a cloth, messy and shocking, if you are really bothered by it or just see it as one of ‘gods creatures’!

timber

some fancy maple (acer) so not my usual item, but looks like a bug thing as Frenchie said – probably won’t kill it, just slow it down a bit, look for browning of the leaves or early drop for signs of stress

Although fungi are showing for more of the year now, current conditions really wouldn’t be favourable for them to reveal themselves

not sure on your ground conditions and space and how bigg you want to grow the tree, but it does look a little restricted there.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thanks chaps….I knew the STW massive would come through

Timber…..IIRC it only grows to about 10 feet anyway

timber

10′
    that’s a shrub, not a tree!

ken_shields
    Free Member

I ran into a 10′ tree once and it didn’t feel like a shrub 😯

tankslapper
    Free Member

frenchie’s pretty close – my best guess is some form of scale insect

See here for ideas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tree problem – anybody know about fungal infections?’ is closed to new replies.