Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tree head-butting = new helmet needed.
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I had a Giro Xen that I use for both mtb and road duties (I know, bit faux pas), but having slammed it into a tree today – while I was wearing it, I might add – it is now dented and badly cracked.

Is the Xen still the helmet of choice? I do like the easy adjustment it has, and seems to fit me okay, so I am tempted to go for the same again, unless there are any other options.

How does the Hex compare?

RealMan
    Free Member

See if you can get one on crash replacement.

mikey74
    Free Member

Does it matter that it is a number of years old and I don’t have the receipt any more?

RealMan
    Free Member

Doesn’t for specialized, I don’t know about giro though. Worth a look though if you can get a new one for half off.

grum
    Free Member

I didn’t need the receipt for my Hex – I told them it was bought for me as a present (which it was). Not sure about the age thing.

They did twice manage to send me the wrong size though. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmmm the replacement cost for the Xen isn’t that generous, I’ve just found out: Madison say £60.

stevede
    Free Member

£60 still a bargain imo and the xen is my favourite lid, own a fox flux too which is ok but the xen is superior for me. The new Xar is a different shape so may be a different fit too. Get another xen whilst you still can!

Kahurangi

On a related note, MET don’t do a crash replacement policy, do they?

nuke

Bashed my Giro helmet earlier this year…iirc the crash replacement was within 2 years of purchase

stumpy01

Jon Taylor – Member
    On a related note, MET don’t do a crash replacement policy, do they?

http://www.khcycle.com.sg/warranty_met.htm

Bottom of the page details Met’s crash replacement policy.

To the OP – have you ever tried a Bell helmet? I find them very comfortable – I have recently bought a Slant, but will probably get myself a Variant too.

mikey74
    Free Member

If that is the case, then I don’t think I qualify. I didn’t see a time limit on the Madison site, but I’ll have another look.

Edit: Just checked, it’s three years. I may still qualify.

nuke

Whoops, yep, 3 years. Memory is not what it use to be…I blame my Giro helmet 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I hate to think what state I’d be in if I hadn’t been wearing mine today: I took a proper flyer.

mikey74
    Free Member

So, I’m currently looking at a choice of four:

661 Recon
    Fox Flux
    Another Xen
    Xar

Anyone gone from a Xen to any of those other three? I’m not sure if I’m going to get a chance to try one out as I need it pretty quickly.

Flapjack
    Free Member

I’m on my second Giro Hex after a similar full on ‘Head-tree interface’ incident a few weeks ago. I really rate them – probably saved me from a life of having my meals mushed up and fed to me. Certainly made me realise the stupidity of not wearing a lid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tree head-butting = new helmet needed.’ is closed to new replies.