Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tree climbing.
  • matt_outandabout

Show us your pics. After four+ years of looking at next doors tree and thinking ‘that is a perfect climbing tree’, we took advantage of a gap between tenants today. 8)

glupton1976
    Free Member

Tut tut tut tut tut. Good lad. 😀

dabble
    Free Member

That is a good tree.
    No pics and not technically a climb but I walked along a 30 foot tree trunk that was propped at a 45 degree angle after being blown down in a storm. Sat in the top and had my lunch while the bike sat at the foot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, if it keeps him off the ones at school. 😀

Actually, I have an eye on one in my park…has a long thick bough close to the ground that would make an excellent “in”. Great stuff.

brakes
    Free Member

you’re a bit younger than I had imagined.

wrightyson
    Free Member

All this weekend whilst camping 8)

matt_outandabout

Come on people, pics. And if you don’t have any, go climb a tree and get some. 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

go climb a tree and get some

it’s dark?

glupton1976
    Free Member

it’s dark?

Nope – still light here.

Scotland is great. 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Nope – still light here

waiting…. 😀

matt_outandabout

No, its bright sunshine near enough in Scotland at this moment in time…
    Look:
    http://www.cairngormmountain.org/Webcam

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

There’s still a long way to go, to the top!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Okay if ya insist! I stuck to just tree climbs as well.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d6UdDThcvzg/Uau4mf_gDKI/AAAAAAAAFIA/6IvgaeGQQxk/w646-h865-no/IMG_1577.jpg[/img][img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-doZC5U-SvO8/Uau4njOmKMI/AAAAAAAAFIk/wcaBbx1LSis/w646-h865-no/IMG_1657.jpg[/img]

bencooper
    Free Member

No pics, but I was climbing trees in the local park with a bowsaw today to cut off some branches. I’ve still got the 4″ scar on my arm from when I fell out of a tree doing the same thing a month ago 😉

d45yth
    Free Member

Climbing trees you say?
    [video]http://vimeo.com/38103421[/video]

headfirst
    Free Member

Well I climbed up a beech tree in my garden today with my chainsaw, the first time I’ve used it with my feet off the ground. Not sure health and safety types would have approved!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=8JoXKpHKgUg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8JoXKpHKgUg%26feature%3Dyoutu.be[/video]

CountZero

matt_outandabout – Member
    Come on people, pics. And if you don’t have any, go climb a tree and get some.

Not. A. Chuffing. Chance. 😯

stu1972
    Free Member

One of my boys mid-ride yesterday.

Davesport

Trees are evil & = fuel rods for the wood burner 🙂

Get it felled 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve climbed the Gloucester Tree in WA. Photo to proove it isn’t online unfortunatly.

Its a helluva long way up (72m) to have no safety harness, only metal spikes in the tree trunk to climb up and no regulations on how many people can go up and down at any one time. Gets a bit hairy passing people going the other way.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

These picture will just give wood to McMoonter 😉

Drac

Great stuff for kids to do.

And loving these light nights too we get until about 11pm before you could class it as getting dark. Then by 2am it starts getting light again.

Keva
    Free Member

here’s my cat tree climbing…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Love a bit of tree climbing.
    Nothing better than getting the wobbly legs halfway up though!

globalti
    Free Member

When I was about 13 there were a couple of massive cedars at my school. We discovered that pupils in previous years must have climbed the trunk of one by cutting holds up the back in the thick wrinkly bark. We could get about 50′ up to a good resting place, my pals and I used to go up there and watch the staff and pupils going about their daily routine below us. There was a particular thrill in spying on them while knowing we would get into deep poo if caught.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

edlong
    Free Member

My lad was fairly keen on climbing the trees at the end of our road. Then one day he came home in a bit of a mess. Then I took him to A&E who put most of him back together in some sort of order. He don’t climb trees no more.

Daughter is now of an age when the trees down the end of the road are quite tempting…

Cheezpleez

I have something of a reputation for tequila-fuelled tree climbing at work parties. Also managed to pull down a large section of antique oak panelling while attempting a late night upside down traverse of an arched doorway at a country house hotel on a work ‘strategy day’. 😳

takisawa2

I quite often scale the conker trees to give them a shake at conker time. As a misguided youth I did a whopper of a tree by a local pool one afternoon. It drew quite a crowd but unfortunately the local plod were none too impressed. 😕
    It’s the big one, sticking up in the middle of this pic.

1043153 by pten2106, on Flickr

Cheezpleez

By a weird coincidence our cat has just fallen 10ft out of a tree in our back garden. He’s not a natural

nedrapier

Great thread, Matt! Close to my heart.

Loved that film d45yth, struck a chord with me, rock climbing, and tree climbing. And that he loves the beech especially. Me too. Realising now that my most enjoyable climbs have all been beeches. Got together with my wife in a hammock strung in a beech, too!

The biggest I’ve climbed was a copper beech at a big old house in Yeovil. Stands not far from where this picture was taken:

can’t remember whether this was from the bottom or a little way up:

Some proper scary moments on the way up, some gaps I could only bridge by standing on one bough and falling, arms outstretched, to catch the next. While wondering how I might get down! Had to stop and pull myself together on a couple of occasions.

Views were good though!

And I didn’t die, so ticks in all the boxes. 😀

Cougar

I’ve climbed the Gloucester Tree

Ye gods, I’ve got to do that.

My biggest scar is due to tree climbing as a kid. I’ve a hefty gouge out of my leg from where the branch I was standing on snapped; what was left scooped a lump out on my way past. I was about three foot off the ground at the time. Two inches to the left and I’d have been a little girl.

Er, so maybe not the GT then. (-:

matt_outandabout

One from a few weeks back…

Teaching new outdoor instructors the lost art..

Instructor Training Course by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Instructor Training Course by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

granny_ring

Ned wins so far for me.

matt_outandabout

Ned – awesome 8)

Can we have national STW climb a tree week?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tree climbing.’ is closed to new replies.