Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tredmill Buying advice.
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi, im looking for advice for a good tredmill for me and my partner and we have a budget of around £6-700.

We have decided on one as our local gym is over 12 miles away and is not 247 and as we work nights and early mornings is not ideal.Gradually we are building a mini home gym for the days we can’t get out cycling for the winter.

I am over 225 pounds, i like doing fast short workouts as well as longer runs. So i think im guna need one with a bigger motor. . Don’t need to be foldable,just would like a reliable, powerful machine with climb and decend within budget?
    Also would second hand be more ideal for our money?

Thanks any help appreciated.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m a heavier runner than you and although I don’t use it as often as my wife we bought a Kettler Atmos Pro treadmill. We were keen on the equivalent priced Sole treadmill but the Kettler felt a better surface to run on and the motor was higher rated and also altered it’s power output to your body weight.
    Had it a year now and only maintenance it’s needed is a bit of silicon oil spray to prevent squeaks.
    There are two version of the Atmos but the Pro is the one with the stronger motor.
    I wouldn’t buy new like we did, the wife insisted on it, as they’re are plenty second hand.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I’m a heavier runner than you and although I don’t use it as often as my wife we bought a Kettler Atmos Pro treadmill. We were keen on the equivalent priced Sole treadmill but the Kettler felt a better surface to run on and the motor was higher rated and also altered it’s power output to your body weight.
    Had it a year now and only maintenance it’s needed is a bit of silicon oil spray to prevent squeaks.
    There are two version of the Atmos but the Pro is the one with the stronger motor.
    I wouldn’t buy new like we did, the wife insisted on it, as they’re are plenty second hand.

Thanks that’s much appreciated sounds and looks exactly what we are looking for. It is over budget tho so only down side is wed need to get it second hand but hopefully if they are reliable shouldn’t have any problems other than picking one up.

somouk
    Free Member

It may be worth hiring one initially to see how you get on with having it in the house.

They take up a fair amount of space and can be quite noisy when in use.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Our treadmill is in the garage and it does take up a lot of space even when folded up. Heavy too so not just something you wheel out when you want to use it.
    We were concerned about the noise as we use it early in the morning and worried about waking the neighbours but it’s not been very noisy even the foot contact isn’t that loud. The Concept2 rower next to it is much louder. I’d imagine if you used a treadmill on a wooden suspended floor it would be louder though.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

It may be worth hiring one initially to see how you get on with having it in the house.

Yeah that was actually the reason we never had one in our last two bedroom house but we have moved into a 3 bedroom now and we use one of the spare rooms for gym gear. So hopefully we should be okay.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ebay is your friend. It is awash with hardly-used treadmills. Just do some research on to the most suitable then get one from Ebay for half the new cost.

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 2nd hand, I picked up one for £180 – didn’t want to spend too much as I wasn’t sure how much use it would get but it had to be solid and powerful enough to be usable. It’s been surprisingly useful.

km79
    Free Member

Does it need to be a treadmill? You could get a really good concept 2 rowing machine second hand for that, I think it would be much more useful in a small home gym.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Does it need to be a treadmill? You could get a really good concept 2 rowing machine second hand for that, I think it would be much more useful in a small home gym.

Wise words 😉

wallop

30 quid at Wilko

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Have a Bremshey Trail fold-y up-y one which has been amazing, low-maintenance and resilient. Used loads. Once ran a mara on it … Would recommend (the TM, not staring at the same spot on the wall for 26 miles).

applesandoranges
    Free Member

well we plan on getting both actually but i wouldn’t spend same money on a rowing machine as i would a treadmill

Does it need to be a treadmill? You cou.ld get a really good concept 2 rowing machine second hand for that, I think it would be much more useful in a small home gym.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

30 quid at Wilko

Bargain that like…

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Have a Bremshey Trail fold-y up-y one which has been amazing, low-maintenance and resilient. Used loads. Once ran a mara on it … Would recommend (the TM, not staring at the same spot on the wall for 26 miles.

The way you said foldy up i was expecting them to be a couple hundred lol dam there expensive ill have to keep locking on eBay see if one comes up.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

+1 2nd hand, I picked up one for £180 – didn’t want to spend too much as I wasn’t sure how much use it would get but it had to be solid and powerful enough to be usable. It’s been surprisingly useful.

Id love to spend about that but caues of my weight i don’t think one in that price range would work well for me, how powerful is the motor in yours?. I need 1.5 – 2hp + ideally. Be nice too get a bit change.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know your asking about treadmills, but what’s the hesitation with going outside?

The winter months are the best time for running as no over heating etc.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Can’t tell you exactly what I got cos I’m away from home. It was something rather like this one though (eBay) which looks pretty much ideal I’d say (depending on your location).

They do generally dismantle a bit for transport/lifting, I had to do this as it literally would not fit through the doors otherwise. Just a few bolts etc. Manual may have instructions.

I’m 85kg and mine is certainly solid enough. Cheap and nasty ones often only go up to 12kph max which is no good for me.

parkesie
    Free Member

How big is your aeroplane?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tredmill Buying advice.’ is closed to new replies.