Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Treatments for eczema?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

15 year old daughter has a small patch of eczema on her neck

Any recommendations for over the counter cream?

I really don’t want to waste a GP’s time with this

martinhutch

Try an emollient cream first – something like cetraben can be bought OTC.
    If it doesn’t clear it up, a teeny bit of hydrocortisone on an occasional basis can help.

Tell her to stop using conventional moisturiser on it – often they have ingredients that can cause inflammation in eczemous skin. And do not use Acqueous Cream, which is just about the worst thing you can put on eczema.

Oh, and have a look at what shampoos/conditioner/other hair products she’s been using, and whether she’s rinsing it out properly. If it’s on the neck, that may be the cause.

Harry_the_Spider

I get it every now and again.

It goes if I avoid getting soap on it and apply a bit of Vaseline.

BillOddie

I get it a bit.

I find Doublebase Gel sorts it or at least keeps it in check.

1% Hydrocortisone (used ultra sparingly) brings it back under a control if I have a flare up.

Vader
    Free Member

nettle soap works for me.

alexpalacefan

Lifelong sufferer here.
    As above, find a moisturiser that doesn’t irritate her.
    Make sure she is drinking plenty of water.
    If she will, short finger-nails will prevent her scratching.
    It is often stress related. Ask if anything is bothering her.
    Mention that lads really won’t be put off by it!

Good luck.

APF

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I really don’t want to waste a GP’s time with this

this is what my mother in law says I **** hate that expression – she had skin cancer and still didn’t want to waste the dr time ! she was forced to go and she still here to tell the tale !

I’m not saying your daughter has anything like that just don’t be afraid to waste the GPs time !

jimjam
    Free Member

I get it in funny places occasionally, my random cure is Selsun shampoo and a wee bit of vaseline.

jimdubleyou

This is exactly what a GP is for…

If it becomes a long term thing, consider looking at diet and removing things that are known irritants.

Mrs Dubleyou’s eczema flares up when she has tomatoes, peppers & chillis (or any spice based on them e.g. cayenne & paprika) and strangely, anything fizzy.

BenjiM

I’ve suffered with it for years on my face. I’ve tried 1% Hydrocortisone which is great for flare ups. E45 is useless other than blocking pores and leaving you with greasy skin. Eumocream has some effect as a none steroid cream too. However my latest discovery came from a present from birthday present from my wife last year it was a L’oreal gift set, (deoderant which got used as normal and this little bottle of what I thought was aftershave balm) Now I don’t use aftershave or balm because of my job. Anyway when we did the bathroom up at the end of last year we were having a clear out and this stuff was at the back of the cupboard so I thought what the hell I’ll give it a go. Turns out it’s a qeunching gel and has worked really, really well. Just ordered 2 more tubs of t’internet for a fiver each although it’s about £10 a go at Boots. If there’s a ladies version definitely worth a go. It does have a mild fragrance but not overpowering.

Link

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Acques cream? My wife suffers really badly, and she’s been hospitalised twice with it, and uses it all the time.
    She says it’s the only thing that calms it.
    But if people know a better idea, then we’re all ears..

RustySpanner

Olive oil soap works for me.

Sandwich

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfK0BVA-4M[/video]

martinhutch

Teetosugars –

http://www.eczema.org/aqeous

To say it’s the worst thing is perhaps a teeny exaggeration, but there is enough evidence now that it is nasty stuff, and I’m surprised no-one has warned her off it.

Has she tried a proper emollient?

sprootlet
    Free Member

Like your daughter I have just one small area of eczema which moved from ankle to elbow. 1% hydrocortisone E45 when it was bad but I got rid of it for > 6 months after 2 applications of aloe vera propolis cream/gel which was given to me as a free sample. It might have been a coincidence but it was great while it lasted. Although it’s returned it’s hardly noticeable and doesn’t itch like it did.
    Everyone is different though

bones
    Free Member

Keep away from creams with parfum (and perfume for a bit).

zbonty

Yes, avoid perfumed creams- i use Vaseline ‘intensive care’ (white one, un fragranced) as thats the only one my skin is comfortable with. Also avoid applying soon after showers etc when the pores are still open, as that can agravate imo. Try different ones.
    Avoid sugary crap and stress. See a GP.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers Martin, I’ll pass that on..

Has she tried a proper emollient?

Think she’s tried pretty much everything, like I say, including time in hospital as its that bad sometimes.

martinhutch

I know how disabling a nasty flare-up can be, and mine is pretty mild compared with that. Didn’t want to teach grandma to suck eggs, obviously. I’d be surprised if any dermatologist is still recommending aqueous though.

ifra
    Free Member

As said above tell her to stop using soaps for a little while and use some emollient. My son and daughter both have it, daughter is a lot worse. We use dermol 500 as a soap substitute which is very good with epiderm moisturiser and a 1% hydrocortisone to control the bad bits. Also have a potent steroid (elecon) for very bad flare ups. We also do not use aqueous cream anymore.

jimdubleyou

I will also add, be careful with steroids – they can thin the skin with long term use.

Solo
    Free Member

I traced the source of my eczema to diet. I cut out dairy, added Spinach and my eczema cleared up.

I can get it back if I eat cheese.

Before discovering the dietary link, I had taken to using exfoliates to clean the area of skin in question. Again my experience may not be relevant or applicable.

My eczema was by comparison, very slight and I do sympathize with those who suffer with it.

Edit:
    jimdubleyou – Member
    I will also add, be careful with steroids – they can thin the skin with long term use.

I was warned of this also.

bigjim

One of my main triggers is Sodium laureth sulphate, it’s in most non-soap skin cleansing products so can be hard to avoid. I only use Simple soap (as in the bar of soap) and Simple refreshing facewash, I also use Simple Light moisturiser, anything else seems to result in badness.

If she has long hair shampoo residue could be part of the problem too.

Aqueous cream just makes things worse for me too. Nothing wrong with going to GP to get proper steroid cream, worth nipping in the bud now especially for a teenager who won’t want a rash.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Treatments for eczema?’ is closed to new replies.