Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Treating & weatherproofing garden furniture question.
  • BigJohn

Have you seen the price of teak oil????? Flipping Heck, it’s cheaper to buy a new garden table!!

For indoor wood (we have an ancient oak beam, and an Iroko mantelpiece) I’ve always used olive or sunflower oil.

Is there any reason why I can’t use cooking oil on my garden furniture instead of teak oil? It’s a teak-like wood and I can leave it a week or so for the oil to soak in and dry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well i can tell you butinox doesnt work as well as it does on windows

BigJohn

Butinox is just brown paint though isn’t it? I was looking for that natural translucent finish.

Stoner
    Free Member

I tried cooking oil (rape) on one of my teak chairs last week and it’s rubbish. Doesnt abosrb in, doesnt seem to be “at one” with the wood.

Id run out of teak oil, finished off a tin of danish ont he top, (but really danish isnt the right oil for th job either)

so this week on the shopping list is a bucket of teak oil.

TBH I havent oiled the furniture for 5 years so its not so bad.

And Ive found the MOST SATISFYING JOB I THE WORLD OTHE THAN BLASTING ZITS and it’s pressure washing wooden outdoor furniture 😀

BigJohn

Well I might start by pressure washing then. I was going to use the rapeseed oil so thanks for the heads up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Treating & weatherproofing garden furniture question.’ is closed to new replies.