Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Treating the INSIDE of a steel frame ?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

Does anybody ever bother treating the inside of steel frame with waxoil or similar to prevent corrosion or is it not worth bothering with ?

And if i should have done it can i still manage it even though i have built the bike up ?

Radioman

I treated the inside of my cove steel frame with waxoyl. Certainly stops rust (none after over 1 year) but in my warm garage it seems to liquefy and wash the grease out of bbs & headsets!!

I think i put too much in!!

If you want to do it i would use it with care.

I also understand some high quality steel alloys are less prone to rust.

I would certainly do it if my bike was kept in a damp shed or used on salty winter roads, but wouldnt bother again for "normal use".

clubber
    Free Member

Never done it on my 14 year old Kona (or any of my steel bikes) and it's still going strong

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

usually just give steel frames a blast of cavity protector and leave to hang up/drain for a bit. Can't remember the name of the stuff but it's designed to be used in car panels and is brown. I also drill a small hole under the bottom bracket shell to let out any water that gets in via the seat tube.

zaskar
    Free Member

I put too much waxoyl in my frame and during summer it leaked in my car boot but the boot has been rust free…

STeel Frame from '95 still going strong…you should see my new kona P2 fork steerer-I cleaned off all the superficial rust before building my bike.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Waxoyl, available from automotive places (and Halfrauds) I have always done my frames even though they probably don't need it.

SSP

tragically1969
    Free Member

Could i still Waxoyl it if its got a bit of rust and damp in there ?

boxelder

After wet rides, spray some GT85 or similar into 'vent' holes in tubes, take seatpost out and turn upside down. Not that I bother and no problems. I wouldn't use Waxoyl personally.

Northwind

Waxoyl can melt if the frame gets really hot though (ie, left in blazing sun). I spray in a bit of ACF50, which is a very cool aviation anti-corrosion treatment, but it's probably mad overkill, WD40 seems to have done my old (18-year-old) steel frame just fine.

izakimak
    Free Member

I've had both my steel frames done one is an 03 rm blizzard and the other is an inbred, both have been done with jp weggle frame protector. I ve also used this to stop a welded shim on a vn yukon tapping the inside of the seat tube and making a bloody annoying noise.

coatesy
    Free Member

Worth remembering that if you have your frame sprayed in the future, the stoving process will melt the wax causing it to run out and spoil the paint finish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Treating the INSIDE of a steel frame ?’ is closed to new replies.