Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • treadmill running, does it work different muscles to "real" running?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Got new treadmill set up on Friday, and did a quick 4k run on Saturday and 5k yesterday.

While I found running on it a lot easier than real running on the road (is this perceived or is it actually easier?) my calves are absolutely killing me today.

I normally don’t get much muscle pain at all from a 5k run, and if I do its usually my thighs not my calves.

so does running on a treadmill affect different muscles, and how much easier is it than “real” running?

wwaswas

they often have a bit of a tilt to the bed so you’re constantly running uphill (or you set it to an incline using the controls)?

It’s easier than road as you’re at a constant pace, not slowing down for junctions and then speeding up and it’s on a constant speed and gradient.

zilog6128

Did you have it set on an incline? Calf pain is usually experienced by people switching to a mid/forefoot running style. If you were running on a incline the whole time you may have done this without realising. That’s all I can think of!

29erKeith
    Free Member

I run “differently” on them, I couldn’t tell you how exactly, but it feels different and I suspect my gait alters a bit. Whether that makes any difference or not I have no idea.

Not keen on ’em personally, I’d rather run outside in the countryside in all weathers

[edit]they’ve got a very unnatural bounce to them which must give you a bit of an easier run than the road imho of course[/edit]

D0NK

While I found running on it a lot easier than real running on the road (is this perceived or is it actually easier?)

I always assumed it was easier as the ‘road’ was moving for you but according to wiki it’s just down to wind resistance

Studies measuring the difference find that an average person running between 5 miles per hour (8.0 km/h) and 9 miles per hour (14 km/h) will expend between 0 and 5 percent more energy running outdoors. A person running outdoors faster than 10 miles per hour (16 km/h) (6 minute mile pace) will expend up to 10% more energy than an indoor runner. Treadmills can approximate the additional effort of running outdoors by setting the incline to 1%

stumpy01

With a treadmill, you are not pushing yourselves forwards as you do while running on the road. You also don’t have any wind resistance.

I find when on a treadmill, my trailing leg tends to extend further back & I push off with my toes more. This is more noticeable at a fairly quick, striding pace.

phil.w
    Free Member

Treadmills pull your leg back under the body rather than your body moving forward over your leg. This ‘pulling’ puts more strain on the hip-flexors than normal running.

Also, due to a couple of factors people tend to run with better form on a treadmill. Which will account for initial soreness if this is markedly different to how you normally run.

1% incline between 7:30 & 5:21 pace (minute miles) and 2% for over this pace will account for wind resistance. Slower than 7:30 min/mile there’s no need.

andymc06
    Free Member

What stumpy said. Different use of muscles due to less requirement to propel yourself forward.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i found:

*i felt more ‘confined’ on a treadmill, my stride got a little shorter, so i landed on my heels less – forefoot more.

(if you’re not used to forefoot running, your calves will get tired quickly. it’s a technique thing more than a strength thing)

*the treadmills i used seemed much harder than ‘real’ running, i nearly died trying to run an ‘easy’ 25min 5k.

*i got really sweaty – no airflow innit.

IanMunro
    Free Member

No wind resistance on a treadmill..
    That’s why planes can’t take off em.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘treadmill running, does it work different muscles to "real" running?’ is closed to new replies.