Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trayvon Martin injustice in the US
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

Some of you may have heard about this. George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17 year old boy who went to the shop to buy skittles and ice tea.

Zimmerman is the neighbourhood watch chap for the area. He reported thinking Martin was suspicious and explained that he was going to pursue him, despite the police saying he need not. He openly admitted to killing the boy and yet has not been prosecuted, partly because he has no prior convictions!

Naturally there has been a big issue of this being a racially motivated shooting. Regardless, an armed man shot a child who went to the shops for sweets.

HERE’S THE CHANGE.ORG PETITION

Huffington Post article

Naturally there is more inflammatory reporting, but even the Daily Mail think it’s unjust.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Bumpety bump.

I should have put ti, fatbike or “what coffee machine?” in the title!

v8ninety

Its a toughy really; yes on the face of it it looks dodgier than a dodgy thing, but in a country with considerably different laws and views on carrying weapons and self defence than this one, a country that is happy to have security guards armed to the teeth for ‘self defence’ purposes. I suspect this is what is going to happen. The police report describes the shooter as having sustained injury consistent with assault, there don’t appear to be any other witnesses, so how could a conviction be realistically obtained?

Shitty business.

For what it’s worth, the race thing is an irrelevance, whether or not it played a part (I imagine it did, but that’s pure conjecture) it can’t be proven.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it can’t be proven

Why can’t it be proved ?……..has Zimmerman also shot white kids returning from the sweet shop thereby proving that he is completely non-racial in his approach ?

There appears to be no evidence that the black teenager had committed any crime, and the NAACP certainly think it’s an issue which is within their remit. I hope they go for it, because as long as such issues are ignored then the more racially aggravated crimes will persist.

White kids return from sweet shop all still alive, black kid gets shot dead whilst returning from the sweet shop. I put it to you the jury, that this was a racially aggravated crime……

HermanShake
    Free Member

It would seem to be a racist act, but Zimmerman may also just be a ****. Who knows what other types of people would have fitted his profile, I’m sure there probably other social stereotypes that he would have felt were ‘threats’.

The bottom line is he is ignorant and feels that he has the power to take life at his own discretion. Admittedly I can’t help but think that race is a contributing factor.

br
    Free Member

If you understood the US you wouldn’t be surprised by the story.

These explain it well. ‘verses’ 7 & 8.

http://www.songlyrics.com/good-charlotte/good-charlotte-lifestyles-of-the-rich-and-famous-lyrics/

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m not surprised as such, but awareness can be raised. Tolerating ignorance is agreeing with it in my mind. Just because we hear about mass killing in the news on a nearly daily basis does not make it mundane!

Each to their own, but GC rub me up the wrong way.

wrecker
    Free Member

Black or white doesn’t really matter IMO.
    A child is shot by another citizen having done nothing wrong. Racially motivated or not, it’s murder.

grum
    Free Member

Does he not have to prove it was self defence, rather than the police simply taking his word for it? That’s madness.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Racially motivated or not, it’s murder.

Not according to the police – according to the police there is no reason to doubt Zimmerman’s claim that he was acting in self-defense.

Despite the fact that according to the 911 tape transcript released by the police the following is revealed :

“These assholes always get away,” he says to the operator. Zimmerman is then heard giving directions to the dispatcher. “Shit, he’s running,” Zimmerman says.

“Are you following him?” the dispatcher asks.

“Yes,” Zimmerman responds.

“We don’t need you to do that,” the dispatcher says.[/b]

That doesn’t sound much like self-defense to me, Zimmerman appears to have been chasing a teenager who was running away from him, despite being told not to.

I reckon racism probably goes to the heart of this story, including the decision by the police not to arrest Zimmerman. Which I guess explains why the NAACP wants the federal authorities to be involved in the case.

I struggle to believe that the police would have been so willing to accept the word of a black teenager that he had acted in “self-defense” when he was found to have shot dead a middle-aged white guy who was running away from him. I suspect that he would have at least been arrested.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Am I missing something here?
    This is in the US right?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This is in the US right?

Yup, the country which periodically purports to be concerned about the democratic rights of citizens in other countries.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Wasn’t worried about that. Who the hell takes them seriously anyway?
    Was more interested in the idea of poking our noses into some our elses business .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t quite a few people take them seriously, including consecutive British governments which hand over our citizens to them to face “justice” ?

Good point about them not poking their noses into other people’s business though. Sadly they feel its their right to do so.

westernhemisphere
    Free Member

You the United States of America name yourself the leader of the western hemisphere. No, not at all, you are NOT my leader. I am living in Rumsfield´s “old Europe”, half way to George W. Bush´s axis of evil(North Korea, Iran, etc.). I´ve been the most emphatic defender of the US after 9/11. I wholeheartedly supported you “destroying” the Taliban in Afghanistan. But you know what, the US have lost any respect, any believe in “western values”, anything. Your mind is corrupted and sick. To shoot first and then ask is simply sick. You have lost ANY authority to speak in the name of the western world long ago. From lying to the world and declaring unilaterally war to never-found-mass-destruction-weapons in Irak, over America´s shame in/at Guatanamo, over your medieval weapon laws to “shoot first, then ask”. You are simply ill! Shame on you America!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This shooting took place in Loiusville KY last summer. A twelve year old white child was shot playing Ding Dong Ditch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/15/ding-dong-ditch-shooting-kentucky_n_877711.html

Gun ownership in the US freaks me out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trayvon Martin injustice in the US’ is closed to new replies.