Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Travers Russ Ti – thoughts
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi, maybe a mid-life crisis but keen to update to the modern world and get a new bike. The Stanton Sherpa (or poss Switchback) has caught my eye esp as described as playful which might suit my Kentish singletrack, twisty quick (as in shortish!) rides. Def like titanium. Thinking 27.5 would suit me better for my riding and keen to keep weight down.

But the Russ Ti looks very nice too – anyone tried it? How would you described the ride? Any other thoughts good or bad?

Thanks

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I will let you know about the Travers.
    Just building one up at the moment.
    29 wheels and xc spec.
    I have got some plus wheels waiting in the wings to try though!
    Thanks,
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Just thinking Vaaro do something nice with 27.5 wheels.
    Max

tazzymtb

great frames, build into a really nice bike. I like the Angus SS version personally, but for titanium Gear dangler duties they are top banana.

mos

Ace frames & Michael is a really nice guy to deal with.
    Custom geo 29+ Rudy Fat here which i think was the model before the RusTi.

JohnClimber will be along soon i’m sure.

rOcKeTdOg

Winner of 24:12 solo vet was riding one. Looked ace

Yak

Yes ^ had a chat to Russ about that on the start line. Properly lush bike with stacks of nice touches.
    If I had the cash for a mid-life crisis/ bike for life/ race bike, then this would be top of the list I reckon.

traversbikes
    Free Member

Hi Aus…I am the owner of Travers Bike (Michael). Any info you want on the frame feel free to ask. Obviously I am a little biased.

Russ after cross the line to win the Vets at 24/12 on his RUSSTi

russwelch
    Free Member

I cannot recommend highly enough, but then I would say that wouldn’t I ? I’ve been XC racing 25 years and have always lusted after a Ti bike in 2014 a change of sponsorship saw me move over to travers and initially ride a Rudy. Rudy was great but Mike didn’t sit still and it was refined and the RussTi was born with I like to think my feedback added into the mix, now has massive flexibility. shorter races I pop on the 29er wheelset longer and I swap out to 27+ for added Cush. Its a proper quality item with perfect welds. Yep a top spec carbon frame is going to be lighter but you can’t polish scratches out of carbon with scotchbright! I’ll add a photo of my pivot2412 set up shortly.

fatmax

Ooh…was looking at this the other day. Currently have a Singular Swift and a Canyon carbon 29er…and was thinking about selling them both and getting a RussTi. Bookmarked. Can anyone post up pics?

russwelch
    Free Member

PHAT RACING ON THE RUSS TI | Russ Welch
    PHAT RACING ON THE RUSS TI

xrayfish
    Free Member

Been riding a RussTi since about September, and just built up a new Angus 2… Really nice frames & attention to detail and travers also do some sweet finishing kit to go with them too…
    They ride sooo well. Super comfy on long rides and super easy to keep looking like new.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QSLiEh]On the trail day 17[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DPpXkv]Travers Rusty[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SbDgB3]February 2017 Bivvy[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sb38Jt]Photo[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

I’ve had mine a little over a year now, it’s had various incarnations of handlebar set ups while I sorted out a decent position for the divide. It’s a great bike, fast, comfortable, capable. I’ve got a rigid fork on mine, I reckon it would be a lot of fun with a suspension fork, but as I have other bikes with front suspension I though I’d keep it like this for bikepacking duties and long rides.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Hey Aus
    There’s nothing wrong with a Mid Life crisis.
    I’ve 4 Travers now

I get scared now when I hear Michael has a new idea

Rubber_Buccaneer

Aus, you could always do what I’m doing and enter Travers fun looking little race and check them out up close

http://www.traversbikes.com/potash-spring-classic.html

Though I do know someone (edit: ha, that hummerlicious bloke up there 🙂 ) with a RussTi 29+ and the frame looks superbly made.

madmart46
    Free Member

I have a travers russ ti 29er and i love it had many of carbon 29ers but none of them ride like this one just has a special feel to it and has all the right angles,also looks much sexier! Mine is built up as pure xc and weighs 23lbs and it is still really comfy for all day rides!

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks all … v helpful. Think I’m pretty much sold and have some good email conversation with Michael.

Be interested in experience of the Lauf fork. My riding is quite lightweight, but with a part-artificial shoulder and degrading back, comfort is helpful! Michael suggested that for my riding, playing with the tyre pressures would remove buzz and some comfort for singletrack duties, so no great push to add the fork.

Love to hear others experiences of the Lauf. For reference, my old softail frame which has minimal travel is brilliant (in my eyes) for adding a little comfort to a hardtail. Thinking the Lauf might be similar in principle?

Cheers

Aus

Andy

Nice pic of Barbara Nyes Llama Cabin Jim. Did she welcome you with cold beers and fresh baked cookies?

bullheart
    Free Member

I’ve got an Angus – unbelievably I won it at SSUK a couple of years ago. It is by far the most amazing bike I’ve ever ridden. And Michael is about as good a bloke as you’re ever likely to meet.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Unfortunately not Andy, we never saw anyone about while we were there, we did savage the stored M&M’s and other chocolate though 😉

I was just reading the Cranked interview with Mike Hall, he got to Helena on his third evening, mad!

gfrew88
    Free Member

I have an xl kingdom frame for sale if your interested ;).

Based in Innerleithen only ridden 6 times 29 or 650

traversbikes
    Free Member

New Travers Titanium finish option! Some will love it, other will hate it! Very 90’s

rone

Looking for something different having just had a string of bad luck with frames.

Ordered up a Russ Ti based on the website build with some carbon rims set for 27+.

Very much looking forward to it.

alesupper
    Free Member

Well I’m pretty convinced that I want a russti but my dilemma is should I go for 27.5+ or 29+? I have just bought a Surly Krampus 29+ which I like but I do find it heavy and slow on the climbs. This caused me to look for a titanium 29+ which lead me to this thread. However I’m starting to wonder if the 27.5 plus would be a better option for me. I’m 5’9″ 72kg if that helps with advice.

@Johnclimber you might be able to help as your fine collection looks like it might include both 27+ and 29+

Any advice welcomed, cheers.

rone

Okay mine’s landed. A Russ Ti 27.5+.

I went for the off the peg build but with nextie 40mm carbon rims and 2.8 Rocket Rons. I changed a few bits of contact point too.

I’m 5ft 11.5 (go on 6ft) and went for the 27.5+ mainly as I’d had a stache 29+ and didn’t get on with it. Sold that. And I quite liked the idea of being able to drop in a set of 29 wheels.

I had previously ridden a Salsa with 27.5+ and decided it felt great.

So my first ride was a two parter in the Peak of 65 miles including the ride home of mainly off-road.

I was impressed. Very impressed. Extremely quick and comfortable over every surface. Not in the least bit draggy. My current bikes a Turner Czar and an Intense Hard Eddie (rigid and silly light) might just be in the garage fora while. The Eddie I’m going to flog as this Travers does the job much much better for Winter especially.

So a great ride back from the Peak taking in a 1000m of climbing and lots of loose descending. Impressed on both accounts. Seemed to enjoy standing on the pedals and stomping up hills , very planted. On the loose it grips without any sort of skittishness too.

I’ve got a large frame and it’s a perfect fit, perhaps not a stretched out bike but that suits me.

Only downside is your front ring is limited to 34t but that was fine for the ride yesterday and I may get my extra gear by swapping the block from shimano to sram for the 10 teeth.

DrP

I recently bit the bullet and spunked some cash on a ti SS specific Angus2…

For the past year I’ve been running my previous Scandal SS rigid, and really gotten into it…somehow the Travers frame and the Prong forks take riding rigid to another level!! It’s bonkers quick in the singletrack and trails, yet up like a rocket up the hills!!

A brilliant bike!!

DrP

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Had my Russ ti for a few months now and it’s been fantastic!
    Very comfortable and confident.
    I spent a bit extra in a custom XL Russ Ti in a 29/27.5 plus format.
    Built it as a xc rocket and it comes in at 22.5 lbs and 100mm fork.
    Raced it in a few local xc races and it’s been brilliant!
    Just doesn’t beat me up like my old alloy bike!
    Also got a 120 mm fork and 27.5 plus wheels for mucking around.
    Surprisingly only weighs a little over 25 lbs in this form!
    Equally good and amazing what you can get away with.
    Next a try with some rigid forks!
    Great customer service with Michael as well sorting out my requirements via email!
    Email:singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk for photos.
    Thanks,
    Max

Andy

Really quite fancy an XL 29 plus, but just so expensive if it doesnt work out 😥

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I believe you could also slot in some normal 29 wheels in the plus frame as the only difference between the standard 29/27.5 and 29 plus is the chainstay length.
    I was told this by Michael as he wanted me to try a Plus as I am tall.
    In the end I wanted the shorter chainstay length so I had a custom XL 29/27.5 made.
    Does this make the decision easier?
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Plus spec.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Where are they made ?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I believe China but they are made to Michaels design and have some very practical features.
    I will try to post some pictures up!
    Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Photos not working at the moment!

orangeboy
    Free Member

China can’t be worse than lynsky

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Aus, if you want you’re old pegasus back again then I have had it repaired & it’s just hanging on the wall… 😉

Turnerfan1
    Free Member
    Turnerfan1
    Free Member
    Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Travers Russ Ti – thoughts’ is closed to new replies.