Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Travelling to Norway with bikes
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Quite fancy a short break to check out Hajfell bike park in Norway. Prob spending three days at the park or similar to ride Thursday-Sat travel back Sunday etc

Apparently there isn’t a ferry anymore, anyone got any suggestions how best to travel with a bike. Cheaper the better…

Ta.

tlr

Just come back from a weekends riding in Bergen. I flew from Heathrow with BA – no special charge for bikes but it counts as normal luggage so just buy one bag if you can manage with 23kg bike bag and hand luggage.

stevextc
    Free Member

I used to go to South West Denmark..(one war or another including ferry) . drive the length of Denmark (incredibly boring) and then get the Ferry to Oslo…. (where I was living) … It was much cheaper than the direct ferry…

Olso to Lillehammer is a nice drive. (2 1/2 hours)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hafjell is great,I’ve been there maybe five times as it was only a four hour drive from where I used to live in Sweden.

However when I went for the Worlds in 2014, the train from Oslo was very good and a really beautiful journey

My first time on the buldre drop was probably the biggest rush I’ve had in my life! Enjoy!

ebygomm
    Free Member

No ferry to Denmark either now, for a short trip flying is the only viable option

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Yep looked into ferries recently and best ferry you can get is to the Hook of Holland 🙁 I read rumours of restarting a Newcastle/Stavanger/Bergen ferry but it seemed they’ve been ‘talking about it’ for years. Anyway if you drove from Bergen or Stavanger to Hafjell that would take half your weekend. Why not ride the fjords around Bergen or Stavanger, couple of smaller bike parks at Voss and Geilo and then Nesbyen down the road from Geilo has a fair bit of riding too! I would probably say this seems to be the epicentre of enduro riding in Norway atm with money going into trails there.

Have a look at this for an idea of where to ride, if you look on trailforks you’ll see there’s nothing in Norway, mainly because they have their own site… https://trailguide.net/

If you want, i’ll be living out about 1.5hrs east of Bergen as of next month and could surely show you some trails. Not sure when you plan to go but send me a message if you’re interested.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

oh yeah, meaning flying with norwegian air or BA is best, Norwegian do bikes for I think £38.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

what happened to GBG Will?

darrell
    Free Member

only option is fly to Oslo and get the train

darrell
    Free Member

double post – shonky something or other

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Howsyourdad – GBG was always just a stop off on the way to Norway as my girlfriend was from there/studying there. She’s finished now and i’ve actually been working in London for the last few months. But we are both free as of next month and making the move to Norway! That was always the plan, you should come visit with your bike too, we’re off to set up a guest house and biking place and maybe some other stuff like kayaking/yoga and who knows… probably by some goats or something! ha.

I must email you… need to know where to send a KS Lev that is knackered for a service in Sweden.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Great I thought I had put my foot in it and Sweden hadn’t worked out! um , yes I would like to visit! where exactly in Norway?

We are building a house around 45 minutes from Åre so you are welcome there anytime. No goats though!

z1ppy

M8 went to Norway with his bike, & he needed to hard shell bike bag. Can’t remember the full details but worth checking out before booking

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Unfortunately you’ll have to send the KS lev out of Sweden. There was a thread on Happyride earlier in the year on this very subject……

Edit:- https://happyride.se/forum/read.php/1/3141486/3142193

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Will have a look at the above info and come up with a cunning plan. Thanks for all the information.

I might end up waiting until the camper is finished and take a drive up through europe and make it a longer trip as flying for a few days seems like a lot of hassle!

canadaka
    Free Member

Have a look at this for an idea of where to ride, if you look on trailforks you’ll see there’s nothing in Norway, mainly because they have their own site… trailguide.net

Trailforks actually has more trails mapped in Norway than trailguide.net, 1100 vs 969.

There are some very active local Trailforks users in Norway that have mapped their local networks in great detail. Download the free app to navigate the trails offline.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Fair enough, I think the benefit of Trailguide is they are much more spread out, between the two you have a lot of riding to be had.

I would say if you were open to exploring some other areas than just Hafjell then you can get there and back fairly cheaply and easily in a weekend and have some awesome riding in some epic scenery. I wouldn’t write it off just because you can’t go to Hafjell.

Fly to Bergen, you can ride DH trails accessed by a gondola straight from the city, you’ve got a cool city and epic scenery and you could do a day on the train to voss!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Travelling to Norway with bikes’ is closed to new replies.