Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Travelling to middle east for a 2 hour meeting
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Why chase money. At what point do you stop and think ‘I’ll die one day, better to enjoy life’?

amen to that.

[cliche] you’ll never lie on your death bed wishing you’d spent more time at work [/cliche]

zokes
    Free Member

Then you are looking at a work-life balance then. That is your choice. No offence (seriously, none meant) but if it grates you should change company and/or job.

I am assuming you’ve not seen the state of the global economy recently? Perhaps there would be more jobs of companies didn’t waste their cash on pointless flights?

hora
    Free Member

My Dad died with a great deal of money in property and the bank when he died.

am assuming you’ve not seen the state of the global economy recently? Perhaps there would be more jobs of companies didn’t waste their cash on pointless flights?

Que? 😕

konabunny
    Free Member

That plane is flying regardless if the OP is onboard or not.

Jesus…

zokes
    Free Member

Que?

You suggested the OP change jobs. I was merely highlighting that there probably aren’t many about right now. But if companies wasted less money on pointless trips like the OP is complaining about, then there might be more money about to employ people (unless the OP works in the airline industry, obviously)

allthepies
    Free Member

zokes+1

The number of posters suggesting the OP just “go for it” when the trip is blatantly (to me) absurd is depressing.

hora
    Free Member

Zokes if the OP is working on a contract for a client in the middle east I don’t think the contract value will be peanuts/in the ballpark to take on a 17yr old etc 😉

Yes- the air tickets/hotel isn’t factored into the contract cost however..

That plane is flying regardless if the OP is onboard or not.

– the comment Jesus. Yes it is. Airlines need to keep their prized slots at airports and its not just passengers they carry.

In addition, ONE person isn’t going to change the world.

If all the UK stopped using cars tomorrow do you really really think China would say ‘we’ll stop our own growth then’? Yes they did the nice noise the other week about climate change but really. Come on.

There are some nice noises being made but comments bordering on naivety as well.

Going back to the original dilemma. Is there potentially more business to be snaffled with the same client(s) after this contract has been completed?

If yes- definitely go.

If no- cough, can’t make it.

zokes
    Free Member

If all the UK stopped using cars tomorrow do you really really think China would say ‘we’ll stop our own growth then’? Yes they did the nice noise the other week about climate change but really. Come on.

There are some nice noises being made but comments bordering on naivety as well.

Yeah, I agree, there’s no point anyone making any effort whatsoever 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    zokes+1

The number of posters suggesting the OP just “go for it” when the trip is blatantly (to me) absurd is depressing.

hora
    Free Member

Yeah, I agree, there’s no point anyone making any effort whatsoever

I didn’t say that. I said is it worthwhile for future business with the client?
    In Arab(?) circles (I don’t know)- do they talk/network over who they recommend to each other?

Yeah, I agree, there’s no point anyone making any effort whatsoever

There are circa 13,000,000 cars registered in China every year.

konabunny
    Free Member

if the OP is working on a contract for a client in the middle east I don’t think the contract value will be peanuts/in the ballpark to take on a 17yr old etc

zokes
    Free Member

There are circa 13,000,000 cars registered in China every year.

So there’s no point in cutting out such absurdly wasteful travel then? I see. If noone does anything, it’ll all just go away mmmkay

hora
    Free Member

I’m just being a huge grumpy cynic.

MrsHora has to visit alot of suppliers in China, HongKong, India etc etc and it does seem quite pointless to me personally. Living out of a suitcase.

Then again – she loves the HK downtime :mrgreen:

andytherocketeer

Been to Halifax (Nova Scotia, not the one oop north somewhere), for a 2 hour meeting. Twice. We did go for a 2 hour lunch, and the boss there gave us a guided tour of the city too, as well as fitting in a guided tour of the company there to make it up to a full 8 hour day.

And flights from halifax-LHR were only 3x per week, so we got a free day at company expense rather than fly back via Toronto.

Also been to a totally pointless meeting in Rome. Must have been about 6 of us fly there. Action Item #1… The guys working in Filton will sort out the issues between them and report back. End of meeting. Right, who’s for an Early Lunch?

At least we use teleconferencing a lot more now.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m guessing you don’t do business travel? Think of a normal day at work, but with 8 hours of travelling at either end and sleeping there

A 2 hour meeting is a normal day at work?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Travelling to middle east for a 2 hour meeting’ is closed to new replies.