Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Travelling to L'viv, Ukraine
  • jools182
    Free Member

Looking to get to L’viv, Ukraine but no direct flights from the UK

Wondering what my options are. I live near Manchester, so hoping to fly from there or Liverpool.

It looks like I will have to fly to Poland, Warsaw or Krakow and travel from there

Anyone have any experience or other ideas?

konabunny
    Free Member

Would say Ryanair to Rzeszow, then bus or rail to Lviv, but my prelim research suggests that it’s a 4 hour t rain ride between the two, despite only being a couple f hundred kms. Presumably that is changing the bogies on the gran and/or border hassles. Bus or minibus might be quicker but didn’t come across any info online.

jools182
    Free Member

cheers, seems like a bit of a drag whichever way I do it

the other way was a flight through Dortmund, heard horror stories about wizzair though, and heard that taxi drivers in L’viv don’t seem to want to take you anywhere

SaxonRider

I’m curious… What’s taking you there? I love the place; it’s a last vestige of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and untouched by the scourge of war, so virtually intact. I can even suggest places to go if you don’t have an idea already.

In any case, Austrian Airlines used to fly from Heathrow to L’viv via Vienna, as did Poland’s LOT, which may be worth trying if you can get down there for a plane. The other choice from London could be Wizz Air to Kyiv and one of the trains from Kyiv to Lviv. The trains are super cheap.

In fact, however you seek to get there – especially if from Liverpool or London – you may wish to consider Kyiv as your destination, and plan on taking the train to Lviv. You’re going to have to connect anyway, so it might open the field a bit. Plus, it’s super economical.

jools182
    Free Member

Just always fancies eastern Europe, and it looks to be a more historic place than Kiev

Is it a long journey from Kiev?

konabunny
    Free Member

Seemed like an 8ish hour train from Kyiv, although at least that would be overnight (sleeper if you want it) and you wouldn’t cross a border (so wouldn’t have to wake up).

SaxonRider

It is indeed an 8 hour journey, but it is something that one would do overnight. Even a sleeper cabin is incredibly cheap by our standards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Travelling to L'viv, Ukraine’ is closed to new replies.