Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Travelling through the Balkans. Advice required
  • pete68
    Free Member

I’m hopefully soon to be travelling through the Balkans on my bike. My EU passport is fine for the amount of time I’ll be in each country but I’m confused about the registering with the police thing. Everything I’ve read about this says that your hotel can sort this for you, which is great, but I won’t be at a hotel and will be camping but won’t be prebooked . So is there a way of doing this at the border crossings, or do I have to go and find a police station? What happens if I don’t do it? Any other advice on the region would also be appreciated especially regarding camping and food and drink (what’s good and what’s to be avoided )

cbike
    Free Member

lonely planet, rough guide, forum more likely to have adventure travellers in the know?

TheBrick
    Free Member

check out the blog by “that emily chappell”. Its a very good read but more to answer your questions she rode through the Balkans and even seemed to cross one boarder unofficaly on a back road and hence did not have an entry stamp. Good luck it looks an excellent area to cycle through.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Rode through Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia a couple of years ago. Absolutely no bureaucracy at all. Not even an entry stamp as far as I recall.

globalti
    Free Member

What’s this about registering with the Police? Are you reading a guide book from the 1960s? I drive on business around Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia and Hungary and have never heard of registering with the Police. The only border crossing where there’s any serious scrutiny of passports is when entering Hungary, hence the EU.

pete68
    Free Member

Globalti, the police registration is on the foreign office web page for entry requirements to Bosnia. I’ve seen the same said for Croatia and Montenegro. All I’m wondering is if this happens in reality.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Travelling through the Balkans. Advice required’ is closed to new replies.