Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Travelling South-West on Friday Night – M6 or M1?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Which would you do late afternoon/tea time? Theres only 7 miles extra in it for me going M1 and around the south of Brum which I’ve rarely experienced really bad traffic on vs the potential hell of north Manchester, the M6 over the Thelwall Viaduct and then through Brum which every time I do there is endless travelling at 30mph/stop-start stuff?

Cougar

At that time, if I were going down the M6 I’d be taking the M6 toll. M1’s probably the better option, but that’s covered in 50mph SPECS roadworks as you get further south.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

M6 Toll isn’t an option as going south-west onto the M5.

Where does the 50 limit start on the M1? Might just do the M6 and hope for the best, maybe go M60 around south of Manchester and M56 so I miss Thelwall… And I know theres an M&S at Frankly services for tea!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Everytime i’ve joined m5 south from m42 lately they’ve had signs advising severe delays going north on m5. Tea time ish.

wrecker
    Free Member

M5 south on a Friday evening/afternoon? Good luck!
    The last few weeks it’s been chaos every friday without fail from Bristol down to Somerset.

wallop

I used to go to Leeds a lot from Bristol. Always used the M1. But yes, good luck on the M5 southbound on a Friday!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Roadworks half the way from Birmingham to m50 too

djglover
    Free Member

M1, M25, A303?

jfletch
    Free Member

The M1 roadworks are well south of the A42 junction so that isn’t an issue.

On a Friday evening the going from Sheffield to the South West after work the M1/M42 is normaly busy but moving and the M5 is OK as its later by the time your reach it.

portlyone

Call HAIL or check the website/app before leaving?

http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Travelling South-West on Friday Night – M6 or M1?’ is closed to new replies.