Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Travelling in London
  • drinkingwally

I’m visiting London with my son, sight seeing. We will be in London for 1½ days which tube ticket should i buy?

hilldodger
    Free Member

one day travel card will get you on all tubes and buses, probably the best option

drinkingwally

Thanks

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Definately day travel card much cheaper.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Make sure it covers the areas you visit. Normally zones 1 to 4 is fine.

aP
    Free Member

Buy one after 9.30 as it’ll be considerably cheaper.
    Look at the TfL website and see how far out you need to go and then choose the zones from that.

atlaz
    Free Member

Alternatively if you’re in London from time to time, get a couple of Oyster cards. Charge them up with, say, 15 quid and then knock yourself out. They have the advantage of theoretically calculating the cheapest travel option for the entire days travel so there reaches a point each day when you stop being charged.

anagallis_arvensis

I live in reading and visit london sometimes I have an oyster card which works out much cheaper

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Basically, atlaz has it perfect. The Oyster is a really good system, and you’d be able to use it again, on future trips. You can charge it up online, and even have it top up automatically for you.

It’ll cost a £3 dopsit for the actual card, and if you just get a PAYG one, you can lend it to other people if they want to come to London. I know several people who keep a couple spare, for when friends and relatives visit.

Oh, and as said, once you reach the amount a Travelcard wooduv cost, then it won’t charge you for any further journeys that day.

aP
    Free Member

[cough] PAYG Oyster won’t work on rail – only on LU, DLR & buses, so if the OP is intending to say, use rail to Greenwich it’ll be additional money (unless they go by DLR which takes about a week and a half).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wrong, aP; it now works on Overground services. Not main line services, but local branch lines. Not sure if London Bridge to Greenwich is included, however, but more local train lines are being included in the Oyster scheme.

It is a confusing area, however.

Oyster on rail services

And DLR to Greenwich, from Bank or Tower Gateway, does not take a week and a half! It’s a fun journey for youngsters, specially if they can sit at the front of the train.

Oyster card will also get you a discount on the Riverbus services,which go from the Thames Flood Barrier at Woolwich, to the Tate Britain. It’ll only be £3.50 for adults, I think , with an Oyster card.

Transport for London

aP
    Free Member

London Overground runs on the Richmond to Stratford, Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction, Gospel Oak to Barking and Watford Junction to Euston lines

Not very useful for Greenwich 😛

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But very useful if you want to get t the other places mentioned!

nickjb
    Free Member

Take the bus or walk as much as possible; you’ll see a lot more

Sandwich

Recommend no.11 bus from Victoria to Liverpool Street or vice versa. Sit top-deck at the front and have a cheap tour of the some major sights.
    Also front seat of DLR to Greenwich is a good ride as RB says.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Travelling in London’ is closed to new replies.