Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Travelling in Europe without a passport
  • willard

I thought I’d try and treat my wife with a weekend away and it would be nice to go somewhere other than the UK for a change. Unfortunately, her passport is expired and she’s not filled out the renewal yet.

Is it possible to travel to the EU, specifically Germany or France, without a valid passport using other photo ID?

MSP

Theoretically yes, but I wouldn’t want to try it in practice.

rwc03
    Free Member

You can get a passport in half a day:

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

£138 though

trail_rat
    Free Member

within europe no sweat.

getting out or into the uk – id expect trouble.

sparkyrhino

Go by yourself,but take lots of pictures,and buy a nice pressie,you could be cheeky and ask her to take you too the airport. 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Theoretically no, the problem with, for example, a driving licence is that it is only valid in the country it is issued as identity. Within Schengen you don’t need to worry but the UK isn’t in Schengen.

barkm
    Free Member

how soon do you want to go?
    I renewed recently, took less than 2 weeks. It has a stated turnaround of 3.

bigblackshed

In theory you don’t need it to exit or enter the UK or for travelling within the EU. But it’s nigh on impossible to buy a ticket or get through customs without one. Airports require you to have one to board a plane to confirm you are the ticket holder.

Makes no sense. Without her reapplying there will be no surprise get away. Sorry.

clubber
    Free Member

Within Schengen you don’t need to worry but the UK isn’t in Schengen.

This is correct.

nickjb
    Free Member

I had a similar issue. Phoned up the French embassy and the woman said in a think French accent ‘of course not, do you think we would let just anybody in!

andytherocketeer

Isle of Man and/or Ireland, by ferry? (I’m assuming airlines like some kind of ID)

Cougar

Went to Europe last weekend, the woman in front of me had some sort of photocard thing instead of a passport. No idea what it was though.

Airport security has tightened up somewhat since I flew last. In my 42 years on this Earth, I can honestly say that it’s the first time another man has grabbed my willy.

jam-bo

do what my mates did when one of their group lost a passport just before going to the alps, go through the chunnel in the boot of the car….

willard

Next weekend? I need to burn three days of carry-over holiday that I have left by the end of March and this is the last opportunity to use them for something decent.

I doubt she’d be up for spending time at the local passport office. Our’s is in Peterborough and ’tis a proper shithole.

andytherocketeer

sort of photocard thing instead of a passport

national ID card is fine for travel within EU (at least for EU and/or EEA citizens)

iolo
    Free Member

So go to Kings Lynn if she can’t be arsed getting a passport.

Edukator
    Free Member

That photocard was probably an EU identity card, Cougar. You don’t have those in the UK. The idea of someone being able to travel on most French photo ID apart for the ID card is not realistic. My driving licence is on pink paper, the adresse hasn’t been valid for 13 years and the photo looks more like my son with a beard – there’s no obligation update it.

willard

iolo, I like my wife and want to treat her. If I’d wanted to get rid of her, or make her hate me I might follow your advice.

bigblackshed

Cougar – Moderator

Airport security has tightened up somewhat since I flew last. In my 42 years on this Earth, I can honestly say that it’s the first time another man has grabbed my willy.

Try working in Holland for 6 months, flying home every weekend out of Amsterdam. They sure do like their latex gloves in Schiphol. 😯

hels
    Free Member

So much for “don’t leave town until you have seen the country”.

Take her to some super posh castle in the Scottish Highlands with spa treatments, posh romantic dinners and a decent whisky selection. Women like that kind of thing.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have been to Ireland without a passport with no issues. Or how about the Channel Islands or Scilly?

hels
    Free Member

You do have to update your driving licence photo, every 10 years. The licence might not expire, but the photo does.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rwc03 – Member
    You can get a passport in half a day:

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

£138 though
    Cheap! Up to about £200 so far and the forms haven’t got to Liverpool yep. Still the value is there when you call the consulate and get to speak to people who were taught to speak proper 🙂

I was close to making a 3 day return trip to the UK last week to use the 1 day service

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yeah, national ID cards are accepted as alternatives to passport of some countries, by some countries. UK doesn’t have a national ID card.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You do have to update your driving licence photo, every 10 years. The licence might not expire, but the photo does. “

unless its french ?

johnners
    Free Member

You do have to update your driving licence photo, every 10 years. The licence might not expire, but the photo does.

I’m still on the old paper licence. If they need to know what I look like they have to look at my face, it’s always up-to-date.

Tracey

We have never had to show ours when going through the tunnel to France. Never had to show it on the Alps crossings. Always had to show them at the tunnel on the way back. Work friend left theirs in the room safe at Euro Disney, got back to crossing and took them six hours and a lot of hassle before they were allowed back in the country without them. Passports were cancelled and they had to buy new ones.

officialtob
    Free Member

In my 42 years on this Earth, I can honestly say that it’s the first time another man has grabbed my willy

You haven’t lived Cougar 😉

hot_fiat

You won’t be allowed on the outbound flight without a valid UK passport to return, unless you’re flying to Ireland. Parents got caught out like this as they hadn’t realise their passports expired the year before.

leffeboy

getting out or into the uk – id expect trouble.

stw in poor punctuation produces amusing results shocker
    unless it was deliberate in which case applause is due

willard

Cheers for all the replies. I had suggested heading somewhere like Manchester or Liverpool, but the travelling (i.e. my driving) would be a bar to that. For some reason, the short drive to Stanstead and flight to somewhere like Berlin would be a better option for her than five hours in a car somewhere else in the UK.

Maybe it’s my driving.

Anyway, London is looking likely.

iolo
    Free Member

So get her to apply for another passport now for the next ho;iday.
    Fill the form online. They post it back to you. Get an up to date picture taken. Pay the fee. You get a passport.
    It won’t take long and she can go wherever her heart desires.

UncleFred
    Free Member

You can fly to Guernsey/Jersey without a passport, just a recognised photo id, drivers license does the trick.

richmtb

I got a passport in 4 hours last year.

Was flying on a Tuesday, looked out my passport on Sunday, its expiry date was Monday. Phoned the emergency number for the passport office, got an appointment at 8:30 on Monday morning, had the passport by 12pm.

Cost a few quid more than normal but was a lot cheaper than a cancelled holiday

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Travelling in Europe without a passport’ is closed to new replies.