• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by igm.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Travel Insurance – Will I need specific MTB cover?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So we’ve got a trip planned to Oz later in the year, we’ll be doing a bit of mountain biking, maybe a few days but nothing extreme and we won’t be taking our own bikes. Do we need specific cover for mountain biking like snowcard or dogtag? We’ve had a quick look at normal insurance and it doesn’t really say about cover for injuries doing something like that, they just seem to cover for medical. But, something like dogtag cover for more sport orientated stuff but will be more expensive … what would you do?

ampthill

I’d take out a policy that covers mountain biking

This summer I noticed that Mountain Biking was specific exclusion on my rock climbing policy!

legend
    Free Member

Normal travel insurance covers you to have a go at some activities when away. When going to do something specific (and halfway round the world) getting proper cover in place is a very good idea

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you’re doing the biking with an organised provider then it might be worth asking them if they offer an insurance add-on to their own third party liability cover – would save you being covered (and paying) for MTB on the days when its not needed. Alternatively you might find that there’s basic cover with an ordinary travel policy – for example Asda’s travel policies provide personal accident and personal liability cover for “Mountain biking (not including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions” as standard, with an option to provide extra cover for an additional fee.

deadkenny
    Free Member

“Mountain biking (not including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions

^^^ wording there is identical to Travelinsurance.co.uk (which I’ve got) which is owned by InsureandGo (so probably same wording as theirs too).

On mine, while you can pay extra to include “extreme ground conditions” it also says you won’t get personal accident and personal liability cover, unlike with the standard MTB cover (which comes down to what the extreme ground conditions actually means. I’ve read some were told this is anything but tarmac.

Also I think I read something about not being covered for a dedicated sports holiday, except if it’s winter sports and has that optional cover. i.e. only covers for taking the odd day out to do some activity.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You need specific cover and carry the proof on you. It must cover rescue, and repatriation. Consider the cover you need if you have a big off. I get annual cover for multiple trips.

Remember to carry into you as they will ask for it,credit card or cash deposit.

I use dogtag, they also cover MTB race cover if required. I’m sure there are others equally good.

igm

More than includes MTB at a reasonable level

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Travel Insurance – Will I need specific MTB cover?’ is closed to new replies.