Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Travel insurance that covers taking bikes on a plane?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

We’re taking our bikes to the Alps in August. Can anyone recommend a travel insurance that would cover loss of bike by the airline? Our home insurance doesn’t cover bikes outside the home, and the travel insurance that I usually take out that includes mountain biking only pays out up to £250 per item.

Onzadog
    Free Member

This will be an interesting one.

parkesie
    Free Member

I need to sort this aswell

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In all my searching none really do. Swapping home insurance is a better plan as you will be covered better in general.

tom.nash

Just taken out house and contents insurance with https://pedalcover.co.uk/ and was really impressed. Bikes covered, anywhere in the world, new for old, for significantly cheaper than John Lewis last year. Worth a call. And if you take it out please say that I recommended it 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks Tom Nash- I will swap my home insurance when it comes to renewal. For now I might see if I can bump up the policy just for the trip.
    Interestingly, when we bought our house 2 years ago and needed contents & buildings insurance, Legal and General refused to insure us because we have bikes. I double-checked whether they meant that they wouldn’t insure the bikes, but no, they meant they wouldn’t insure us full-stop!
    With home insurance policies, don’t they require bikes away from home to be secured with a ten-ton D-lock (ie, impractical if you’re riding a carbon road bike or out mountain biking)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With home insurance policies, don’t they require bikes away from home to be secured with a ten-ton D-lock (ie, impractical if you’re riding a carbon road bike or out mountain biking)?

There is no rule, always read your own policy T&C… if in doubt ask for clarification from your insurer.

Mine have been sensible stores, not left unlocked out of sight, locked within a vehicle. Locks have been specified but nothing stupid. It’s covered at a cafe stop so long as your with it – ie in sight. Normal rules of common sense applies but also if they nicked the lock with the bike….

zinger
    Free Member

pedalcover only require that your bike is locked to a fixed point in your car or outside of car with a cable lock – nothing specific about what type of lock

tom.nash

zinger – Member
    pedalcover only require that your bike is locked to a fixed point in your car or outside of car with a cable lock – nothing specific about what type of lock

Zinger is spot on; I asked very specifically that question. Common sense says make it robust, plus I have my bikes tagged and registered on Immobilise.com as proof that I own them. Won’t help stopping theft but increases the chance of insurance not being able to wiggle out!

vickypea
    Free Member

Ah- thanks very much. Looks like pedalcover are pretty good then

jam-bo

declare excess value baggage at the airport?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Travel insurance that covers taking bikes on a plane?’ is closed to new replies.